12: Caduta Del Fenice

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Well, you didn't listen to me and almost put yourself and that boy in danger." he countered.

"Touché." I agreed. We arrived at the mansion and he put me down. Venus suddenly ran up to me and hugged me tightly.

"Oh my gosh Mia, are you alright?" she asked worriedly and I chuckled.

"Yeah, Ven I'm alright. Stop worrying too much." I reassured her. I saw Cassius slowly trying to exit the house without us noticing it but he failed since I saw him and I raised a brow. "And where the hell do you think you're going?"

"I'm going to question the rogue and I want you to stay here. Hans is going to be here any moment to make sure you stay here this time." he said and left without letting me say a word. It was only a few minutes after Hans came.

"Hey there Mia. Wanna watch a movie with me?" Hans said and plopped on the couch, making himself feel at home.

"Oh, so you're babysitting me now?" I crossed my arm and raised a brow at him.

"Yup! But before that, your brother asked for you." he said and handed me the phone. "He said he has answers and refuses to say them to us if he doesn't talk to you alone." he continued. Xerxes must have something to say to me personally if he doesn't want these people to know.

"Well, that's Xerxes for you. Does Cassius agree with this?" I asked him.

"Surprisingly, yes. He said he trusts you."

Trust.

How can Cassius trust someone like me? I'm a filthy liar whose hands are tainted with blood everywhere I go. Not to mention I'm a rogue and he hates rogues the most. He trusted but he was betrayed.

"When he put it that way, it makes me think he's making me feel guilty." Hans widened his eyes in surprise. Although I don't know what's so surprising about what I said.

"Wow, Mia. You have only known him for two days and you already know what's going on in his head. Are you some kind of psychic?." he said and shiver.

"Dude, I just guessed it." I told him and his mouth formed an 'o'. "Well then, if you'll excuse me." I excused myself and ran upstairs to my room. Hans was calling out for me but I ignored him. I lock my room and dialed Xer's number. He picked up after the fourth ring.

"Mia, is this you?" He quickly said from the other line.

"Yeah. What have you got for me?"

"Well first off, the mark you sent me wasn't Winderwald's or any of his followers. It was a group of Winderwald's enemies," he said.

"The northern rebels."

"Bingo! I told mom about this and she told me the name of the group. It's Caduta del fenice or also known as-"

"The fall of the Phoenix. That explains the arrow on the phoenix's heart."

"Yes, but we cannot guarantee that this person is powerful or not since they've been living in the shadows and the book from the seventh elder, the sloth, have no records about them. It seems odd though how they are targeting your mate's pack by the time you arrive." he said while emphasizing the word mate. I let it slide though since I find it useless to argue with him.

To think that the seventh elder, the sloth doesn't have any records of them when he himself knew every person who is a mage, witch, or warlock or what group they are affiliated with. Since he had two books that automatically list a mage's biography, whether they're dead or alive. It's his treasure. Well, all seven of them each have their own treasure.

"It seems so. Do you think it has something to do with me? Or them?" I asked him. I'm a bit worried about these people targeting the pack because of me. Especially if the ones who are targeting me are them. I cannot risk endangering this pack or letting them know that Cassius is my mate. I already had a dream- the dream!

"I don't think so. They wouldn't dare to ask for help from the witches. They are a bunch of prideful shits after all." he said and I laughed at what he called them. He always knew how to cheer me up.

"Xers, I also had a nightmare about one of them. I only remembered it just now. He was talking to me this time like he was hunting me." I said feeling the fear rising in me.

"Now that's bad. You still have that necklace mom gave you right?" he said and I replied yes. "Then it's going to be alright. The potion I'm going to give you will also help. I'll ask Mom to make another necklace for your mate." he said and I sigh in relief.

"Thanks, Xers. Is that all you're going to say to me?" I asked him.

"No. Listen, you must hide your identity even from your mate, and as much as possible, do not let anyone get involved."

"That's what I'm aiming for. Why are you suddenly saying this to me?"

"Because I have a bad feeling about this Caduta del Fenice. Using black magic to increase the speed of poison is not something an amateur can do, Mia." My eyes widened at what he said.

"You knew?"

"Yes. King Cassius told me everything." that blabbing jerk. "But anyway, I'm gonna search more about these fakes. I had Marco send you the potion and a piece of paper. You burn the paper that has a magic circle on it and put the ashes on the potion. You must pour it near the borders at midnight. It's a powerful barrier spell from Mom that will hide you from them."

"Thanks! Just what I needed. You really are the best. Give my thanks to Aunt Vargo and I'm counting on you bro."

"Of course I am and I will relay your thanks to Mom. But Mia?" I hummed in response. "You do know you have to leave that place right? Even though you found your mate, you must leave him to protect him and his people." he said and my eyes begin to water.

"I know Xers. Just...just give me more time." I said to him.

"Okay, but the longer you stay, the harder for you to leave. Be safe Mia, I love you." He said.

"You too." I said and hung up.

I waited for Marco to arrive for a few minutes. I heard a sound from outside the terrace. I went there and saw Marco with a purple bottle necklace around his neck. I whistled for him to come to me and he flew with his large brown wings. Marco is a peregrine falcon, a family courier to be exact. Like in Harry Potter, they have owls, we have falcons, or any kind of bird that can travel fast.

He landed on my arm and I pick up the bottle with purple liquid and the paper that was tied up on his leg. As soon as I took it from him, he discretely flew out of the house. I hid the bottle inside my drawer and put the paper inside my pocket.

I went out of the room and ran downstairs. I saw Hans who was busy playing a video game that he didn't even notice me going downstairs. I quietly went to the kitchen where I saw Venus preparing popcorn along with Casper.

"Cas! I need to ask you something." He looks surprised when he saw me. "Do you know where they put that rogue?"

"Uhh...in the dungeon beside the mansion." he said. I was confused by what he said. As far as I know, that place beside the mansion is only an almost destroyed building that is the size of a cottage.

"But that place is too small."

"Actually, that's just the entrance. The dungeon is located in the basement of that building." Venus said and crossed her arms. "You're not planning on sneaking inside are you?"

"I' am because I'm already involved so I have the right to know. And besides, I'm the one who took him down." I told her.

"But his majesty told you to stay here, ms. Mia." Casper said.

"Like I told you. I won't let Cassius be the boss of me." I turned to look at Venus with pleading eyes. "Please Ven, I just wanted to help protect this pack." I pleaded. She sighs in defeat.

"Fine. We'll distract Hans and you'll use the kitchen door to get out of the mansion." I hugged and thanked her before I left the place.

It's time for my stealth skill to be put to use.