"What the hell man!" Nick bellowed to me, and in the corner of my eye, I saw him throw his hands up in frustration.

"Um, I'm going to finish up" I muttered to him, and before I could explain myself to coach, I began to jog towards where my wolf was urging me. It was only as I got closer that I noticed my mate as he stood on his own staring into space. I slowed down slightly allowing me enough time to let my eyes rake his body to see how he was. He'd only just woken up from his coma. I couldn't help but worry about him. Should he really be coming back to school so soon? Shouldn't he be resting? I thought to myself as I continued my way to him. He's been resting since the attack. My consciousness reminded me, and I sighed. As I got closer, I noticed how drained he looked. His green eyes were dull and shrouded in a vacant glaze. It made my chest ache because his eyes showed nothing but sadness. All I wanted to do was run up to him and wrap him up in my arms.

And that's when my thoughts stopped in realization.

I was the reason for his sadness.

I didn't mean what I said to Brody, of course, I didn't. I regretted it like mad, but he didn't know that.

He must hate me. I hate myself.

It was as I came close to him that I watched as his eyes met mine and then he froze, his features struck with fear and then just like that I slowed to a stop, as he ran away.

I stared after him, having to swallow hard as my throat started to ache, and my eyes warmed with tears. Shit, I'm not going to show how much that hurt. I closed my eyes taking a few seconds to compose myself. I should have expected that – I did expect that, but it didn't mean it didn't hurt like fuck.

Taking a deep breath, I looked up to see him nowhere in sight.

"Shit" I muttered, my hands clenching into fists. I was not going to let him pass through my fingers. He was my mate, not some stupid high school crush anymore. I needed to fix this, and I would do anything to make him happy again. I'll make him mine.

I began towards the school entrance knowing that he could be anywhere, but I needed to find him, so I did the one thing I'd never done before in school. I closed my eyes and brought out my wolf senses. It was forbidden, because it could be too obvious that something was different about me, compared to the other human students. My eyes had now turned black, and my stance was more animal-like. It was worth it though because I immediately caught hold of his scent allowing me to follow it to where he was. I barely noticed the wide birth the other students gave me as they looked at me like I was possessed – and to be honest, that was probably what it looked like.

I stopped once I reached the arts corridor. He stood leant against a locker as he caught his breath. A slight smile crossed my face as I wondered how he could keep in such good shape, but be so unfit... Then I abruptly rid myself of amusement when I realized the probable reason for his struggle. He'd just come out of a coma – half beaten to death. No wonder he was weak. My wolf – now more prominent in me than before - growled low in my ear as he urged me forward. I needed to protect him, especially when he was weak.

However as I walked up behind him, I stopped when I saw him curl his hand up into a fist and shake his head in frustration before he went to open his locker.

"Dammit" I was pulled away from staring at his body when I heard his annoyed growl.

I found myself shaking my head in amusement.

"Need some help?" I spoke before I could stop myself. I froze wondering why I could talk before I even formed the question in my head. However that thought left me once I noticed how he froze and then without turning to face me, he spoke the one sentence back which broke my heart.