Chapter ~ 19

Quinn

Going back to school felt almost surreal. In my mind, I'd just taken a long weekend off when in reality that long weekend was just over a month. I knew I was going to be in for hell when I realized all the work I've missed and now have to catch up on. My eyes involuntarily searched the school grounds as I walked along with my hands stuffed deep in my pockets. I was searching for anything different- a part of my mind wondered how much could have changed in a month. Of course, nothing had changed the rustic red color of the walls had not faded and as far as I knew nothing dramatic had happened while I was away like some fire in the science block.

"Welcome back!" I cringed as someone climbed upon my back and clung to me like a spider.

"Get off him, Marcy. He's just come out of hospital you don't want to put him back in" Chase laughed and as Marcia jumped off.

"How you feeling?" He asked me to which I replied with an 'I'm alright,' but in my mind, I was sighing, wondering if I could ever be alright again. My eyes met Brody's then. I gulped as he gave me a look, a look which made me know he knew about me- He knew about me, and he knew about Ethan. But it was also a look which let me know he wouldn't tell anyone. 

"You're in gym first, right?" Brody asked, and I nodded and looked toward the field to the left of the school building. The football team was having early morning practice. I stopped to stare as they finished up, grabbing their water bottles from the sidelines. I shook my head slightly as my chest clenched uncomfortably. 

Drawing my attention back to my friends, I noticed that they were already near the school entrance, all of them engrossed in the commotion of a girl scattered on the pavement. She must have tripped I thought to myself as I saw Wesley pick up her bag and hand it to her with a smile. Trust Wes to be the night in shining armor. I thought to myself before I heard footsteps running towards me. I froze, my eyes darting quickly to see if my suspicions were correct - they where. At that point, I realized that just walking wasn't going to be good enough. In fact, running right now seemed like a much better option.

By the time I got to my locker, I was panting and holding myself up by leaning against the wall. I was either having an off day, or I was seriously unfit.

I shook my head as I span my locker code.

"Dammit" I growled as my stupid lock refused to open.

"Need some help?" I froze as an annoyingly familiar voice ran through my ears in all its masculinity. I had no clue how to reply. I didn't want to talk to him. Dammit! I didn't want him to speak to me. What the fuck! Is he trying to torture me?

"No, leave me alone" I snapped and then thought fuck it to my locker and walked off, making extra sure that I didn't brush across him as I stormed down the corridor towards my first class. From what I could hear Ethan didn't move. – Well, at least we're on the same page now.

Ethan

There's nothing going on between us. It seemed as if those six words were lodged within my brain, nothing I did seemed to distract me from that last sentence I'd said before I stormed out of his hospital room.

I couldn't believe I'd said it, but it was a spur of the moment thing. The fact that someone else now knows about my biggest secret scared me shitless, so I just spoke the first thing which came to mind in the hope it would get me off the hook. But instead of having the desired effect it had the opposite.

Flashback

My heart was racing a mile a minute as I ran up the porch steps to my parent's house after leaving the hospital. The adrenaline was overwhelming. I don't know what to feel. On the one hand, I felt amazing, Quinn woke up and I got to spend the whole night with him in my arms. I'd never forget the entire new wave of protectiveness which ran through my veins last night. I don't think I had more than an hours sleep, but that didn't matter. I wished I didn't care about Brody finding us – I wish I were strong enough to say fuck the world, and not care about what anyone thought of me. But I was a coward, - not only that, but I was a coward who put himself first instead of his own mate...