Chapter ~ 10

Ethan

"You seem really out of it, you sure you don't want to go with someone else, maybe a hot little Chika?" Nick winked at me and he threw himself across the back of the sofa and landed on top of me with a thud.

I groaned and shoved him off in annoyance.

"Man, what's up with you? You've been acting up all week" He moaned.

"I'm fine man, and no I'll run the south line alone"

"You sure?"

"Yes, I'm damn sure now leave it!" I almost growled as I got up to go for the run.

I needed time on my own – for that I was certain, I couldn't get rid of these thoughts. All I can think about is him; what he looked like when I got into his car, his green eyes shining with unshed tears and how they brought on emotions I would much rather never acknowledge where there. My stomach twisted with pain when I thought of him hating me. A shiver ran through me as I tried to forget – I wanted to forget, but just the thought of forgetting him made my chest ache and I knew that was never going to happen.

"If you didn't know I existed. Why are you here? If nothing happened between us..." His voice ran like a melody down my spine, but the words never left me.

I didn't know why I had followed him to his car. It was an impulse- something inside me told me to. I wanted to explain. I wanted to wrap my arms around him and hold him close to my chest, as I told him how sorry I was. And right there, was what terrified me more than anything else, I didn't want to feel this way about him, he should mean nothing to me. I want to forget about him. I don't want to feel the slight pang in my chest every time I thought of how much I'd let him down and more than anything else I didn't want to have feelings for him.

Pressing my paws into the ground, I only now realized my wolf was preparing to leap across the freeway, I panicked for a moment but I was too far gone to stop myself as I began leaping across the road. I tried to ignore the blasting anger of the car horns or the occasional high pitched scream heard as cars screeched to a halt- or worse the deafening joining of metal as cars collided with each other.

I was shaking as I stopped in shock once I'd got to the other side. My eyes roaming the scene behind me, it was like one of those scenes on the TV. One in which had you wondering who lived and who'd died. There was an early silence, even though there was so much noise, a deafening horn was going off constantly like someone was pressing on it without realizing. There was a car alarm going off, but apart from that, there was silence – silence because no humans were saying a word, a cry or even a moan of pain. There was nothing, I gulped knowing that I'd caused it was sickening. I stood there. I couldn't move, I was frozen in shock, it didn't look real. Something like this shouldn't be real.

My eyes caught sight of fire; a truck had overturned and had caught alight. My eyes then swept over to the family in the car next to it, a woman slunk forward in the passenger seat as blood poured out of a head wound. The driver – a man, was crushed as the side of the car had collapsed in by the collision it had with the truck, his head lent across the steering wheel and seeing this for some reason, out of all the things I could think of at that moment was how he was the reason there was a constant car horn.

My legs felt like jello but I pushed myself forward, because out the back window behind the woman was a hand, it was small but it was moving and then I heard the cry. It was a baby. I pulled myself together then and ran towards the mangled car, not even noticing that I was still in my wolf form, or that the truck- blazing with fire, was too close to the small family sedan and I certainly didn't acknowledge how the petrol tank of the car was leaking the fluid all over the ground. I couldn't think about anything but getting the baby out. I smashed more of the car window in so that I could get my head through. I looked at the tiny child; he was no more than a year old. His car seat had saved his life. I took the harness in my teeth, making sure not to catch my canines on the baby as I ripped it away from his small frame and then slipped my teeth under the straps of his dungarees, and proceeded to pull him out of the car.

It was then as I took one last glance at his parents that I noticed the petrol collecting under my paws. I panicked then and ran. I ran so far that I didn't stop until I heard the explosion. I shook and dared myself to look back. When I did I wished I hadn't, it was a sight that I would remember for the rest of my life- A sight of utter despair. I could hear sirens not too far away, as they made their way to the scene - The scene, where a small- once silver family sedan was now just one huge ball of fire. I felt like dying as the guilt slashed my insides to pieces. I couldn't look at the car anymore, instead, I pulled my head back to the boy who I had gently laid on the floor in front of my paws. His bright blue eyes staring up at me as his small hands reached out to touch my fur. He gurgled, and I couldn't help but feel a searing sense of relief mixed in with the pity. He didn't seem harmed, but this baby-unbeknown to him-had just lost his parents. He was an orphan, and he was too young to even speak their names.

A tear landed on his cheek before I looked back at the scene behind me and felt sick. This was all my fault. I didn't know what to do. I looked back down at the baby. All my teenage life I hadn't hidden the feelings I had for children and how they annoyed me, but for this little boy, all I wanted to do was protect him. I knew the only way I could do that would be to take him back to the scene and have him taken by the ambulance to get checked out, but I was stuck. I knew that I couldn't very well take him back myself without it looking suspicious. I couldn't take him back as a wolf – nor could I take him back in my naked human form.

I looked back to the baby as he clings to the fur of my paw with his tiny fist. I knelt down and picked the baby back up by his dungarees, and that's when I realized he was not just a baby – he was a baby cub. He was one of my own kind, and that just made me want to protect him even more. So how on earth was I going to take cub back to the scene without it looking suspicious?

I was beginning to walk slowly back to the road, trying to hide behind the trees and shrubs which were scattered around, when I felt an almost painful tug in my chest, pulling me backwards. I stumbled back a few steps shocked, by the crippling need that overwhelmed me to carry on going the way I'd been heading. I frowned and then I came to realize that maybe it wasn't my un-consciousness that caused that crash for no reason, maybe it was my wolf because right now my wolf was demanding me with such a force to head towards the town. I turned back to the crash scene, determined that whatever it was that was calling to me could wait.

-