Chapter ~ 17

Ethan

"You didn't know? But your parents have been here all day." She told me and then raised her eyebrow skeptically. It was now I fully realized that she knew. I'd lied to the hospital and said to them that I was Quinn's brother- it was the only explanation which would allow me to stay by his bedside -outside visiting hours.

"I... I yeah..." I muttered and then turned back to her. "Are his – I mean my parents still here?" I gulped. His parents didn't know who I was. They didn't realize that while they visited in the evening when they could, I was with him all day.

"Well as far as I know," She told me, and I nodded, I hesitated where I was. I didn't want to go in there while his parents were with him.

"I... I think I'll wait then" I nodded to myself. She smiled and gave me a look which told me she wasn't going to say anything else on the subject.

I almost fell back on a seat in shock. Quinn was awake? What will I say to him, how was he? Was he alright? Was he still all there in the head?! My eyes went wide as I shot up from my seat.

"WAIT!" I told the nurse, and she turned to me again. I stood there and scratched the back of my head awkwardly.

"Is he alright? Is there anything wrong with him?!" I pleaded with my eyes.

"You're not related are you?" She sighed, it was a rhetorical question – she knew she was right. "I really can't confine his personal health with you... I'm sorry," and she looked like she meant it. She came up to me and placed her hand on my upper arm. "He's okay – stable at the moment. He's undergoing tests, but he looks to be on the road to recovery." She told me quietly with a smile.

I nodded feeling a weight lifting off my shoulders. He was alright. Now all I need to figure out was what I was going to tell him. Does he even know I'm his mate? I thought about that for a while and then smiled slightly, but at the same time, I balled my hand up in a fist. He knows damn well that I'm his mate. He just failed to mention that one measly fact. Maybe if he had, we wouldn't be here in the first place. He would never have gone to that godforsaken place. He would have been with me, wrapped in my arms.

-

I didn't know how long I'd been waiting, but it seemed like forever. It was pitch black outside the large industrial windows. The small waiting room – once scattered with a near constant gathering of people, now was empty apart from me. The nurse had long left, and now there was just a large man eating a sandwich behind the counter. He barely looked at me – after of course, he'd asked me to leave, and I refused.

I suddenly heard voices occupied by footfalls in the corridor. I quickly got up knowing it was Quinn's parents – Eventually. I thought sarcastically. I was angry by the time I slipped into a side room and hid behind the door, waiting for them to pass. I glared at them as they did. What time do they call this?! Don't they know my baby needs his sleep? I grumbled to myself as I began my way to his room.

I hesitated once I got to his door and looked through the small window. I lent back on my heels as I looked at him. He didn't look so different than usual. He laid there with his eyes shut, wires still leading to his body but there were differences which caused me to smile. His bed had changed from being completely flat, to now in a more seated position. He slumped over slightly, and I shook my head, he looked shattered but cute at the same time. His head which before was wrapped up in an unattractive bandage was now gone, and his light brown hair flopped attractively over his eyes. However, the one difference which I noticed more than anything was how the tube jammed down his throat had been removed. Or maybe I just saw that because I was staring at his lips...

"If you don't go in soon, someone's going to tell you to leave" I jumped as the nurse stood there with her hand on her hip.

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. Instead, I just nodded and opened the door.

I don't know how long I just stood there, staring at him like some freak. I didn't know what to do. Just knowing he was out of his coma was enough to satisfy my need to protect him. I didn't know what to do now, I didn't want to wake him up, - It was late, and as much as I wanted to talk to him, he needed to sleep.

I made my way to him and sat gingerly on the side of his bed. I held my breath praying he wouldn't wake up. The more I thought about it, the more I was thankful that he was asleep. I still had no clue what to say to him.

I looked at his slumped position and shook my head slightly. Cautiously I reached out to move his pillow and pulled him up as slowly as possible so not to wake him. A light moan came from his lips, and I froze, both my hands were placed on the ends of his pillow – just by his face. If he wakes up now, he'll freak out.

I stayed frozen for a few more seconds until I was sure he was still asleep before I leaned away. He looked comfortable now. My eyes involuntarily ran across his face, taking him in like I hadn't seen him in a month- which in a way I hadn't. My eyes then landed on his hospital gown which had dropped over his shoulder, showing a wire sticking to his chest. I guessed it was monitoring his heart, but I didn't like the sight of it at all, it made me feel slightly sick. He looked so vulnerable with wires. I hesitantly pulled his gown up over his shoulder and gulped. I should leave him. I can come back in the morning or something. I scratched the back of my neck and was about to get up until I noticed how his head was still slumped over. Without thought, I reached out and cupped the side of this jaw in my hand, and tilted his head back to a more comfortable position.

I froze. What have I just done? I looked at how my thumb moved on its own accord to brush his bottom lip lightly. Shit what am I doing?! I felt the shocks running gently from my hand down my arm and settling in my gut. I gulped, yep he's definitely my mate – there is no doubt about it.

I couldn't remove my eyes from his lips if I tried. All I could think of was what it would feel like to have them pressed against my own. I wanted it. I wanted to lean down and place my lips to his and not worry about what he thinks. He'd never know. He was asleep. He's my mate so I can kiss him- Right? Logic told me to get up and leave right now before I do something I might regret, but my wolf was urging me forward. My wolf was pulling my head down to hover just above his. I gulped and looked up to see his closed eyes. – He was still asleep.

I needed to know. He was my mate but to kiss him felt like the final decider. He's not going to pull away and be disgusted. He's not going to call me names, he's not going to... reject me. I can do this.

I took one last quick look to make sure he was still asleep and then without giving it another thought, I lent down that inch or so and kissed his lips. His lips were dry and rough, but at that moment I couldn't think of a single negative thing about the way his lips perfectly fit against mine. Even though he was asleep the sparks ignited within me, and it was all I needed to know as I reluctantly pulled away. I hesitated to re-open my eyes. If he'd felt the same sparks, then there was no way he'd have been able to sleep through it.

I finally opened my eyes and sighed in relief to see his eyes were still closed. Thank god!

I leaned away. I shouldn't have done that. I'd stolen our first kiss. I'd kissed him while he was sleeping – damn I feel like such a creeper. I shook my head slightly in frustration and then noticed how my thumb was still rubbing light circles into his cheek. He was so beautiful.

No, I've got to leave. I told myself and reluctantly took my hand away from his face.

I began to stand up when without warning I felt something touch the hand I'd just pulled away from the other side of his body. My eyes snapped down to see how his hand held onto mine and my heart completely came crashing to a halt.

-

:O This is one of my favorite chapters, what do you think?? 

Please please please comment and let me know. 

And a click on the vote button would also be great :) 

Thanks

xxRandomxThoughtsxx