Chapter - 27

Ethan

Last night I was finally able to lie down with my man. Hold him in my arms and know that for the time being everything was okay and the rest of the world could wait until tomorrow.

The shitter was that tomorrow was never too far away.

I was still clouded by sleep when I heard the slam of the front door followed by the loud booming of my name in a voice I hadn't heard in months.

Shit.

My eyes flashed open and I would have jumped up if I didn't have a warmth weight pressing me down. My chest seized up as I looked down at our entangled bodies. The sound of footsteps barging up the stairs let me know before I could even think about hiding Quinn that there wouldn't be enough time.

"Huh?" Quinn mumbled into my chest his head tucked into my neck and his arm wrapped around me. My hand tightened around his back automatically as the sound of feet hit the steps. "Who's that?"

"Klaus." I gritted through clenched teeth and then just as Quinn tried to jump up the door smashed open and in an instant, I was stood up and in front of Quinn. I couldn't hide him but I was ready to protect him if needed. It was instinct.

"ETHAN! Was this... What the fuck?"

Alpha Klaus was your typical poster boy alpha. He had muscles for days due to his unique genetics and alpha bloodline. His hair was dark and curly and his eyes where a steel grey. Alpha Klaus was like a walking wet dream in a dark brooding sort of way. I would be lying if I hadn't had a slight crush on him at some point. But it was like all of his attraction had vanished now I'd found Quinn. Now the big guy looking completely dumbfounded standing awkwardly in my doorway was just Klaus. My alpha.

"I can explain?" I shrugged not knowing what to say and at the same time shitting myself.

"Gay huh? Who'd have thought." He frowned. Closed his eyes slightly shook his head and then re-opened them. "Sorry, that just threw me off a bit... erm – can you meet me in the living room. I need to talk to you... Preferably with some clothes on."

And just like that as I stared at him in shock as he turned on his heel nearly tripped over and left the room.

I stood there staring after him in my own shock and just didn't move.

"I... Did that go well or... not? I'm confused." Quinn mumbled.

I shook myself out of the zombified state and went to grab some clothes.

"Should I go... or?" He continued after my lack of response.

"What no!" I looked at him then and remembered that above everything I was here for him. Klaus could wait a little longer as I went over to his half-naked body as he knelt on my bed awkwardly. "Come here," I mumbled as I pulled him close. This was not how I imagined this morning to be but I refused to cut him out anymore. He was my mate we were a package deal and if Klaus didn't like that, then we'd sort something out but I wasn't going to choose Klaus or the pack over him and I needed to make that clear to him.

"I don't know what just happened there either but it's you and me now, so let's deal with this together."

"Are you sure I mean I could just wait here while... you know... make sure he's not going to kill me or something... I mean did you see the size of the guy?!" Quinn looked at me wide-eyed causing me to laugh slightly.

"He didn't seem angry," I told him. I wouldn't take Quinn downstairs if I thought Klaus would be a danger to him but something about Klaus' reaction told me that he wasn't super angry... not angry enough to hurt Quinn anyway. "Come on put some clothes on."

-
Klaus was sitting in the living room nursing a coffee once we got downstairs.

"Sorry man – it kind of took me by surprise is all." He said with a shrug and stood up. "When did this happen?" He looked at Quinn then who was stood slightly behind me.

"Er," My hand found the back of my neck as I scratched it absent-mindedly. "I've always- I mean I've always... I just thought... I mean – look I don't know what I'm saying. Yeah, I've always liked guys"Yeah, what a load of verbal diarrhoea that was.

"You're his mate," Klaus said completely ignoring what I said as he stared down at Quinn. Quinn must have nodded and Klaus seemed happy with the response because he grinned up at me.

"Well, congratulations on finding your mate, man." He grinned pulling me into one of those man hugs. I think I must have still been in shock as I hugged him back.
All that time I was worrying and this is all he had to say?

"You don't care?"

He pulled back and frowned. "Well I would've preferred your mate to have been in our pack but I guess this mutt will do." He joked slapping Quinn playfully on his shoulder. "but on a more serious note I have something to talk to you about Ethan, take a seat."

"Hold on you don't care if I'm you know – gay?"

"Man it's 2018, not the 1800s."

And just like that, the conversation was over and I let out a breath of relief. It felt as if a little part of the weight that had been resting so heavily on my shoulders for so long had been lifted. My Alpha didn't care which meant now If all else fails and my father rejects me then at least I will have the support of my pack.

But just like most things lately, the sense of relief didn't last long as I realized what he was holding in his hand and much too soon the world was spinning around me and the blood all but drained from my face.

"Care to explain?" He asked all joking gone as he stared me down.

-
"Is that..." Quinn was the first to speak I didn't need to look up to hear the fear in his voice.

"That's what I'm afraid of," Klaus answered his unfinished question.

"Who took that? It was the middle of the night..." I mumbled into my hand that I'd unconsciously used to cover my mouth as my mind went back to that fateful night as I dashed across that highway without even realizing what I was doing – causing that awful car crash... the orphaned baby, the car explosion.. everything flashed across my eyes taking me back to the darkest night of my life as I stared down at the photo of my wolf with the small cub between my canines.

"What happened Ethan?" Klaus asked and Quinn was looking at me in confusion. "Start from the beginning." He urged when I hesitated. My eyes darted to Quinn I hadn't told him this story. He'd been hurt and I hadn't wanted to worry him but with the evidence now sat in my hands I knew now was the time to fess up.

"I – I was on a run... my wolf it was pushing me forward. The force - It was so strong. Quinn... Quinn was in trouble so now I realize my wolf was pushing me to save him but... but at the time I didn't understand what was going on I was confused and I obviously wasn't thinking straight because I ran across that road without thinking and I..." I gulped my throat felt like it was clamming up and I struggled to push back my emotions. "I caused that crash," I whispered feeling empty – ashamed...

"Why didn't you tell me?" Quinn whispered his hand gripping my shoulder.

I closed my eyes. "You've been my main priority for the last few weeks. I didn't want to worry you with this," I whispered taking hold of his hand.

"How did you get the picture?" He asked Klaus.

"It was sent to my father." Klaus frowned. "It's why I came back early."

"Did it come with anything else." Quinn urged causing Klaus to pull out a piece of paper.

'Your kind doesn't belong here'

"I don't understand are they human?" Quinn asked

"Seems so" Klaus agreed "Ethan what happened next?"

I told him about Quinn and the attack and how they drugged him with something that they knew would take him down – even though he was a werewolf. That information took Klaus by surprise his whole body changed his eyes darkened. He didn't say it but you could see it written all over his face.

This was bad. This was really bad.