Chapter Forty-Seven.

Começar do início

“I like you, Midge.” He spoke slowly, not once ripping his gaze away. “Way more than I probably should. And before, I’d hold back but then reprimand myself. But I’m done with all of that. I’m done holding back and trying to push these feelings away and pretend they’re not there. Because they are and I want to do something about them.”

The shock that grew inside me as I processed his words in my head was unreal. I didn’t know what to think. I kept opening and shutting my mouth multiple times, but no words would come out. It was like I’d forgotten how to speak. And I simply blinked forward, feeling completely numb.

Realising I wasn’t going to say anything, Zacky continued to speak, still staring at me.

“And you know, it’s very unlikely that a local band will ever rise to fame...especially the way we have.” He said, confusing me even more. “But that happened even though so many people told us it was stupid. So I figured...just because people may think it’s a little weird that I have feelings for you...who cares? I shouldn’t listen to them. Not listening has always done me a load of good.”

Still unable to speak, I diverted my gaze from him and stared back up at the night sky, trying absolutely anything to clear my head. I felt like I couldn’t breathe. Was this seriously happening? Especially after everything Ronnie had said to me earlier today?

Zacky studied my expression for ages, before slowly lying back down. He breathed out a heavy sigh, but it sounded more of relief than of frustration. Almost like he was just glad he’d gotten that off of his chest.

This time, while lying down, he edged even closer to me so that our sides were pressed right against each other. I could’ve easily grabbed his hand and laced our fingers together, but I was still in too much shock to move.

“When you were a baby, you hated the sand...” He eventually spoke again, chuckling along with his comment.

I exhaled deeply, trying to compose myself and breathe properly, finally feeling like I’d be able to speak.

“I did?” I managed to also chuckle, relaxing ever so slightly. “I can’t imagine why. I love it here.”

“You fell over face first when your dad was walking with you out of the ocean one time.” He explained, laughing harder. “Got it everywhere.”

My lips twitched into a smile as I shook my head. “Now that definitely sounds like something I’d do. Some things never change.”

At that, he grinned, and I relaxed even more. I’d missed talking to him like this while we’d been avoiding each other. It felt good to be laughing with him again.

As I stared upwards, I suddenly felt him outreach his hand and stroke my cheek. I stayed absolutely still, allowing him to continue as I felt I couldn’t make any movement myself. As his hand then moved to play with a strand of my hair, he leaned forward and lightly pressed his lips to my cheek.

I breathed out shakily, closing my eyes. “Zacky, what are you...”

Shh.” He whispered, moving his lips down my jaw line. “I’m doing what I want. And what you want, too.”

“I...what?” I squeezed my eyes shut tighter, trying to keep a grip on my thoughts.

He kissed my neck gently, immediately sending a shiver down my spine. “This.”

As I breathed in sharply, I felt his lips smile against my skin, and he began to trail his kisses back up again, all the way up my neck and to the end of my jaw, his lips right next to my ear.

“I want you...” He whispered gently, grabbing my hand and lacing our fingers together.

I sighed, opening my eyes again. “I’m just...done with disappointment. I can’t get you out of my head and that scares me more than anything.”

“I won’t disappoint you.” He kissed my cheek again, stroking my hand. “I promise.”

And yet another sigh left my lips. I was so conflicted. I’d been wishing for this practically since the day I’d met him, and now it was really happening, the words leaving my mouth made it sound like I was changing my mind.

Suddenly, Zacky pulled away and stood up, dusting the sand off his jeans. I immediately wanted him sat back next to me, holding me again. I felt empty without his arm around me like that.

“Well, you know where I stand.” He said, staring down at me. He appeared to be waiting for me to say something, but it was like I couldn’t get the words out.

I opened and shut my mouth again, unsure of what to say. At that, he simply nodded and turned, beginning to walk away, and panic ran through me. I couldn’t ruin this. Not now. Not after almost two months of waiting for it.

“Zacky!” I stood up, following him and grabbing hold of his arm.

Immediately, he stopped and turned to face me, an intrigued look on his face.

“Mm?” He murmured, raising an eyebrow.

I breathed out shakily, moving my hand to his and lacing our fingers together. “I want you, too...”

A smile immediately appeared on his face and he squeezed my hand, pulling me closer and staring down at me happily.

“So, where do we go from here?” He asked, tilting his head.

I could only shrug, still pretty short for words. “You tell me.”

And immediately, he let go of my hand, placing his hands on my waist and pulling me closer.

“Be my girlfriend.”

And all I could do was nod, before he leaned down to kiss me.