Chapter Forty-Seven.

Start from the beginning

“Midge, I was just scared.” He said, his words coming out rather quickly. “You can’t imagine the kind of shit I would...both of us would get in, if anyone found out about that kiss.”

As his words triggered my tears yet again, another frown fell onto his face, and he reached out his hand, gently turning my face to look at him.

“If I didn’t make you like this, who did?” He questioned, studying my face. It was obvious I didn’t have to say anything, as his expression told me the answer soon clicked. “Ronnie?”

I silently nodded, pulling away from him and staring out at the water again. Any physical contact with Zacky right now was just not a good idea.

He sighed. “Are you two really dating?”

I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye, snivelling. “Does it matter?”

Yes.” He said, almost as if that answer was obvious. “I just...I don’t understand what you’re doing with the gu—‘’

“I’m not.” I interrupted. “He and I are not dating.”

“...So, did you break up, or?”

I shook my head. “We were never dating. I don’t know why I said it. I guess I’m just...confused.”

He stared at me for what seemed like ages, before nodding. “Well...I’m glad.”

I tried my hardest to ignore that remark. I knew he be glad because he’d always had something against Ronnie, but he didn’t need to rub it in my face.

I then lay back on the sand, staring up at the sky and trying to ignore his gaze that was pinned down on my face. Eventually, he joined me in lying down, also staring upward.

“I’m sorry, Midge.” He whispered, nudging me slightly.

I breathed out shakily. “Why?”

“Well for a start, the way I spoke to you at that barbecue a week ago...”

I shook my head, sighing. “I’m just a kid. It doesn’t matter. My mum used to talk to me way worse than that.”

“No. I shouldn’t have talked anything like that.” He shook his head. “It was wrong.”

I shut my eyes, trying to make sense of what he was saying. Sure, he was probably just simply apologising, but I didn’t really understand why.

“What was wrong about the way you spoke to me, Zacky?” I questioned, shaking my head. “You said that we had to forget about that kiss and carry on as normal. If anything, you were doing the right thing.”

No, because it doesn’t feel right!” He exclaimed, abruptly sitting up again. “Midge...forgetting about that kiss? It just...doesn’t feel right.”

His words only struck more and more confusion in my head, and I rubbed at my temples, trying to soothe my rapidly growing headache and make sense of his words.

“What are you trying to say?” I nervously asked him, exhaling shakily.

He stared into space, wrapped in his thoughts while I waited for his answer. It felt like he was never going to reply, and it only made me more and more nervous as to what the answer actually was. What he was actually trying to say.

Eventually, he turned to me and looked me directly in the eyes. It wasn’t the same as him just staring at my face like the numerous times he had since this conversation had started—it was something different. His gaze locked with mine and he studied my face, his expression turning from somewhat conflicted to suddenly decisive.