°•Entry Two•°

10/2/3470,
Glitzern,
Scientist's Hub

We walked to a vast grey building. It was built with stone but had a certain modern twist. The windows were lined with black so they stood out and glass reflected a certain shade of docile blue. It would look inviting and comforting, if it weren't so big! Not exactly... Homey.

 I squeezed my mothers hand as I looked at all the excited faces of the others, smoothing out my blouse and cast my eyes down to the necklace, it matched my pale skin so much it looked like it was designed especially for me. I glimpsed at my mum who had a somewhat worried expression plastered onto her face.

"You look more scared than me" I smiled. She let out a soft laugh. It was high, musical, and quite contagious, although, I managed to hold my laughter in. A small smile still tugged at my lips though.

"Maybe I am. I mean, who knows what that serum will do to you." She whispered. I wondered if she knew more than she was letting on, but quickly dismissed the thought. She was my Mum after all! 

I gently nudged her in reassurance. But I could tell it hadn't effected her mood or made her feel any better. I thought of something we could talk about, something, positive. Yes, I was trying to change the conversation. I searched my mind, trying to find an interesting topic that would make her forget about my impending fate.

"Y'know, Alice thought my hair was dyed." I said after a minute.

"Alice?" She replied, her eyebrows furrowing together in question. She was even more forgetful than me. She couldn't even remember my co-workers name!

"Yeah, Alice. You know my Saturday job at the clothes shop? Well she's my partner." I sighed. She turned to face me.

"Oh! Alice! I know her! Your co-worker, right," she smiled. I almost physically had to hold my head in my hands, to stop myself smacking it into a wall in frustration. "Has she had the serum yet?" She asked. Uh oh. I could see the direction this was headed.

"Yeah, she has. She's twenty-two. But I dont see why that is relevant." I said, quickly trying to shut down the conversation.

"What did she say it was like?" She prodded. I had to lie. Sorry Mum. I grimaced.

"We never really talked about it." I lied. But truth be told she had. She had said it was the worst thing she had ever done, even after six years. You were always on edge and it was every man for themselves. Even then, she had refused to tell me what her fear was. It was a dangerous topic. When I had asked she would pretend a customer needed her help and dash off down the Hall. I only tried a few times and failed miserably.

The brass doors opened and everyone flooded in. Heads bobbing in excitement as the sound of laughter and chatter filled the air. I wasn't exactly sure what they were excited about though. People said, life was different. Hell, apparently even sex was different. 

We walked in and the smell of parchment filled my nose as everyone made their way into a vast area. The inside looked remarkably like an amphitheater. I guess it was the way the red leather chairs curved around the wall. 

I tugged my mothers sleeve towards the back rows. She laughed and followed. We took our places and waited for the ceremony to begin. The lights dimmed to an eerie glow, until a woman with a tight blue dress that went to her knees entered the center. Her makeup stained face was lifted to a warm and comforting smile. 

Too warm and comforting. She had a black mic fastened to the side of her mouth as she waited for silence.

"Another year is here, hasn't it gone quick! It feels like only yesterday I was here giving this same speech. Anyway, enough of me blabbering on and lets get straight to it! I am sure all of you know how this works but I will explain for those who do not. Each of you will be called up. You will pick out a number out of one of the seven bowls. According to your number you will be set into small groups and then taken for the serum. The numbers are from one to two thousand. So, now everyone knows whats happening lets get started!" She shouted. Everyone clapped until their fingers were red raw.

The first girl went up. Her pixie hair the colour of corn. She started laughing uncontrollably as she picked out a number from the third bowl.

"295 please go and wait by the door." Said the host. She winked at the crowd and stumbled towards the door. Little did she know she was making a fool out of herself.

And so it begun. All I had to do was wait. Wait until my name was called.

~DreamCatz and DarkSky1910