Chapter 16: The Contender (AMBW)

"How did the two of you meet?" Persia asked as she waited on bated breath to uncover the relationship between her boss and the woman who was nowhere near his social status. She didn't believe his statement for a minute. Everyone knew he was a social recluse and he showed no interest in anyone male or female.

"We met in the lounge as we waited on our flight. I saw her, and I decided I needed to know more about her." He stated casually. As Kiah listened to him speak and read the words written on Persia's face, she could understand how it made no sense. How could a multibillion-dollar man be interested in her? It absolutely made no sense. There was no financial gain and most importantly, he knew nothing about her at all. Or did he?

Once the thought dropped into her consciousness, Kiah refused to believe that he was magically interested in her. Men of his financial and social status only exercised their energies obtaining that which added significant value to their lives. What sort of value would a single mother and junior college professor add to his life? As the questions began to form in her mind, she felt a fear that some nefarious secret plan was in play began to surface in her mind.

Who and why? Her analytical mind kicked in and the discomfort of the situation began to rush through her mind. The idea of being part of some game herding her once again towards a broken and bruised heart wasn't part of any plans she had for herself or her vacation. Kiah stole the occasional glance to observe his behavior with the group and his undetectable movements surrounding her.

Awareness was made evident to her. He placed his hand on her shoulder with a delicate touch, making her head feel a little bit light. She feigned ignorance to the way he grazed her hand at any given opportunity. He also made subtle movements to brush his thigh against hers. Nothing crass or obvious. Everything was in a manner that made their interactions privy only to the participants.

Kiah knew without a doubt, he was attempting to seduce her. The knowledge of what was taking place made her heart race as if she had finished running a marathon. She felt his eyes move with the attention of a hawk on its prey as his eyes stroked her skin without so much as one finger touching her. As she turned her head to confirm her suspicions, his tumultuous blue eyes nearly pulled her from her seat.

The smile on his face confirmed what her heart and the slight pulsing sensation in the pit of her stomach already understood. Jön cleared up her suspicions about whether he was genuinely interested in her or not. Every sign he sent out was laced with fire and passion. There was no doubting his intent. This was a territory as unfamiliar as the Moon or Mars.

Something bigger than her was happening and warning signs flashed in every part of her mind. Don't you dare fall for it. It just doesn't make sense. She could hear the words as if someone were screaming in her ears. The mixture of heat generated from his constant attempts to through her senses out of whack and her mind screaming at her forced Kiah to excuse herself. She needed to get some air.

The group was finished with the meal, but they sat at the tables drinking and hashing over their experiences since graduation. Many of them were doing quite well and a few of them were still trying to reach a certain level of success. They continued questioning Jön about his visit. Everyone knew he never joined events of this nature.

Kiah walked outside and the cold air that greeted her was like a welcome old friend. The large cloud of steam forming in front of her as she took deep breaths in and out gave her mind something to focus on besides the who shocked her to the core. She placed her face in her hands as she realized she jumped from one pot straight into the fire.

Joon made her angry because he neglected her affection for him. She wanted to teach him a lesson, but she had no idea a man would come along and tried with the least little effort to sweep her off her feet and cause her so much anxiety. Jön was nothing like what she would imagine a billionaire to be. He was sweet and easygoing. When they shared a conversation, it was as if she were talking to an average person. She was so confused.

"Are you okay?" His voice pierced her thoughts. For the first time since they first met, he placed his hands on her in a way that wasn't just friendly. His hands were on her shoulders as he began to softly massage her as if it were something they shared at any time. Kiah became rigid the moment his hands slid from her shoulders slowly down her back. She was at a loss for words. How did everything shift gears so quickly? At one time he moved at the pace of a snail but all of a sudden, he switched gears and began to move so fast he gave her whiplash.

"Please. Jön. I'm not ready for this." The words squeaked out as she tried to dissuade him from pressing forward. His hands left her back. He turned her around to face him. His fingers traced the outline of her face. They stopped. Just when Kiah turned to walk away from him, Jön pulled her close to him as he took possession of her lips.

Her first response was resistance. She pushed against his chest with all the strength in her body. Her attempt didn't convince him or herself. He continued until she leaned into the kiss. Jön took her response as surrender and went further. His hands wrapped around her waist as he pulled her close enough to feel every curve of her body. Kiah's mind was lost in the light scent laced with a chocolate undertow, firm muscles, and a sensual embrace.

She gave in and savored the feel of his lips on hers as the kiss deepened. Kiah never kissed anyone other than Joon. To feel another man as he touched her body and kissed her was completely different, but it was also extremely intoxicating. Something in the back of her mind brought it all to a halt for her. A vision of Joon and Juni shut it all down.

"I'm sorry. I can't do this. I'm in love with someone else." She said as she pulled away from his embrace. He was lost in passion. The words she spoke hadn't fully registered in his mind. His face was clouded with lust and longing as he locked eyes with her.

"Kiah, I've never wanted to be with anyone as much as I want to be with you. Every time you smile, I feel my heart jump as if it is tethered to your smile. At first, I just want your attention but now I want all of you. Even when I'm not around you I'm smiling so many people think there's something wrong because they've never seen me smile so much." Jön shared his feelings with Kiah as she backed away from him.

It was never her intention to gain his affections. She did everything she could to stay away from him, but he wouldn't give up and now he was professing something to her that she wasn't able to accept or entertain. Her heart still belonged to Joon. There was no doubt in her mind of the connection she had with the man who once wounded her soul. It was complicated, but she loved him too much to let him go.

"Jön, I'm honored to have a gorgeous, sexy, and successful man such as yourself show interest in me. The only problem is that I'm my heart belongs to someone else. I'm still in love with the man who is my first love and the father of my child. I can't stop loving him. Please understand that I can't accept your affections." She stated the words and turned to walk away. Kiah was met with the owner of her heart. His face reflected everything he saw and heard.

When he arrived at the restaurant was something of a mystery to her. She hadn't seen Joon the entire time she was there but suddenly, he was witnessing what transpired. Kiah opened her mouth to speak but it was to no avail. Joon grabbed her hand and walked out to a vehicle in the parking lot. A gentleman opened the door for them and was instructed to take them to his lodge.

*****