Chapter 1: Beginning & End (AMBW)

It was hard to believe six years of college was finally over.

When all was said and done, a young black woman, who came from humble beginnings, had successfully beat out the brainiac's, the powerful, the rich, as well as anyone in between to become the class Valedictorian.

Standing before the masses sharing the speech she had labored losing sleep and peace of mind to prepare, the crowd became powerless as her charismatic words electrified those who found themselves entranced by each syllable that proceeded from her lips. There was some sort of energy pulsating from the speaker out to the onlookers in waves as she commanded their undivided attention.

As unimaginable as it was, Kiah Olivia Grace obtained the highest GPA in her Harvard Business graduating class. Because of her hard work, she has transformed into a shining jewel in the face of some highly influential people.

Without a concern for who should be present in the audience, the young woman allowed her speech to move the crowd to tears.

That was very much like Kiah. Whenever she involved herself in anything, she put her whole heart and soul into it.

Eight years spent by her side taught Joon-woo Seong more than he recalled learning for much of his life. As someone who was perpetually Cole pushed to the, he learned to remain strong and watchful no matter the situation.

Because he remained by her side,.........

Her determination to be successful rubbed off on him and somehow, he managed to place second in the class.

As the Salutatorian, his job was simple. He was able to sit back and cheer his girl on as she stole everyone's heart.

The five-foot-three bombshell never worried about other people's standards because she embodied her own. She was graceful, poised, and even though the speech was powerful, the clear voice of an angel worked the space.

After overcoming the snobby and not so inclusive behaviors of those who had generational ties to Harvard, Kiah carved a path of excellent achievements many sought to fulfill but often failed to accomplish. She amazed everyone with her consistently high test scores and extra curricular activities.

Honestly, Joon often marveled that he was lucky enough to be the study partner of one of the smartest people in the school.

Every day her main concerns were school, school, and a little more school.

Day and night for eight years, she was the driving force behind their study sessions. No matter what tragedies befell her life, Kiah was determined to become successful. She never allowed anything to shift her focus from graduating with her master's in business administration and a 4.0 GPA.

Kiah wasn't known to complain about her struggles. She always remembered that the sacrifices she made would pay off in the future. Joon reasoned that he too should possess the same kind of determination, but he wasn't as committed to the process as she.

Thankfully, she reached past his occasional bouts of the blahs and pulled him kicking and screaming from whatever distracted him. Once she had his undivided attention, they studied together with Kiah keeping an eye on on friend to help him stay focused.

They were besties. Her success was his success and vise versa.

The two young adults knew everything about one another. Joon-woo felt a tightening in his chest as her recalled how they first met. Kiah took him in as a friend and soon they were close like family.

It often amazed him how much time they shared since day one.

When they left home to attend college, nothing changed. Joon never told Kiah that he got an apartment off campus on his own.