Chapter 31: Let it Bleed

"So sign here... Annnd here, and put your initials down here at the bottom."

"Okay," I look up at Rey. "Are all these papers really necessary?"

"Yup," Rey answers as he collects the documents. "It keeps us paid, and the record companies from suing us."

"So when do I start?"

"Next Saturday," my friend-now-turned-boss informs me, "You'll come in later this week to rehearse and get used to how we do things. Your sister and the others rehearse the day of performance unless it's something major."

"Right, so when should I come in?"

"Uh," He adjusts his glasses, "how long has it been since you've sung professionally?"

I stare back at him blankly, I have no idea. Not since high school at least.

"You should probably come in tomorrow morning so we can see where you are."

"Good idea."

Rey offers me one of his trademark big, wide smiles, "It's great to be working with you again."

I offer my hand to him, "It'll be just like high school again."

"Except we're getting paid." He shakes my hand, "See you tomorrow morning. Be in around 7am."

My sister is as giddy as a schoolgirl once I tell her the news. The fact that I took her advice at all is shocking. Erika hugs me tightly, letting out a loud "Yay" before returning to her bouncing.

"That's so awesome, Edie!" Erika exclaims. "And we get to work together! Did Rey say anything about the wedding next month?"

I blink, "What wedding?"

"The royal one." She clarifies and my memory is immediately jogged.

"Oh that. No, he didn't but I thought it was only Misty attending?"

"Nope! I'll be performing too, and so is the house band at the reception! Misty is the opener, though. Poor girl is wracked with nerves, but if we do well, imagine the publicity! We've been rehearsing for months on end! We gotta be there a week or so prior for dress rehearsal."

I suddenly feel a bit left out, but I can see why Rey didn't bring it up with me. It's likely too late in the game to add another performance at this rate. Plus, I'm admittedly rusty when it comes to singing. Vocals are like an instrument - if you don't practice, you'll grow unaccustomed to using them. However, I still put on a smile for my sister.

"I'm sure you'll do well," I tell her.

"I better or the boss-man'll have my ass!" Her smile fizzes out suddenly, "I haven't been to England in a while. My ex is there." She adds before I get the chance to ask.

"Oh," is all I can muster as I remember what she said about her last relationship. "I don't think you'd run into him."

Erika shrugs, "He runs a railroad company, and he's an aristocrat so he might be there. I read trains will be involved."

I hug my little sister, "You'll be fine. These royal weddings are huge, you likely won't see him if he's there. And if he is, just act accordingly if you feel threatened. And by that... I mean don't hit him."

Erika sighs, still visibly unnerved. It's odd seeing her so vulnerable, but on the flip side I guess she feels the same about me. "Ok, well let's celebrate your new job!" She heads into the kitchen, "I'll whip out the wine and YOU can order the pizza!"

I cringe slightly, wine and pizza? Together? Ew...

We arrive at the Indigo Room around 7:30, a mixture of traffic and Erika's inability to be on time is to blame. Being late on your first day isn't good. I know Rey won't chew us out too badly, maybe, but I still like to be professional. As we step in, the club is more disorganized and chaotic than yesterday afternoon. The 10-piece band is more lax with sheet music strewn about and coats hanging on their podiums as they halfheartedly warm up their instruments. In front of the stage pacing about frantically is the head of it all. It's only morning and his sleeves are rolled up and his dark hair already a mess.