Chapter 10 : It's a Date

The light from the sun hits me smack in the face, forcing me awake. I groan loudly; what the hell happened? The previous night is just on the edge of my memory. Oh, right... that. I sigh as the oh-so-familiar sensation of depression rears its ugly head. I don't want to think about last night or anything that lead up to this point. I need to tell Dr. Kolomna that this isn't going to work anymore and leave. The money, and what remained of my dignity, wasn't worth it.

I try to roll over to get the sun out of my face, but I am blocked by a huge mass pressed against my back. I turn my head and nearly gasp. He's here... in my room... in the same bed... It's then that I realize he has me pinned against his broad chest, holding me to him like a teddy bear. I flush, but I can't help but feel a little happy. A small smile spreads across my lips as a result. I should also note that I'm still in my evening gown, but that's OK, I can deal with that. I can deal with the sun in my face as long as this moment lasts me the rest of my life.

In what only seemed like minutes later, I wake up again to find myself alone. Was it a dream? I reach over to timidly touch the empty spot beside me; it's still warm. Maybe it wasn't a dream?

"Edith, are you awake?"

His voice sends a shiver through my body as fear makes its descent upon me. "Y-yes?" I reply, sitting up.

The door opens slowly to reveal a more casually dressed Dr. Kolomna, complete with low hanging lounge pants and a t-shirt. His hair is styled in a not-so-elegant bed head, and his icy blue eyes are full of concern... and maybe remorse. I choose to not meet his gaze and look out the window. He makes his way towards me and takes a seat on the edge of the bed, sighing heavily.

"About last night..."

"You don't have to tell me," I mutter, curling up within myself. "I know what happened... somewhat."

"I've never had a woman attempt to take me on before," He says with mild amusement. "Well, not one who actually could."

My brow knits with embarrassment and my cheeks heat up. "I... I'm sorry. I was out of line, beyond unacceptable." Tears begin to sting my eyes, "And I'd understand if you'd want to just end all this and never see me again."

He goes quiet again and I risk looking at him. His azure gaze doesn't meet mine as he looks down at the floor in thought, a small frown on his features. "True, you did, and maybe we should. You did destroy my living room." He says gently. "But, I don't want to." He looks in my direction and our eyes meet.

"But what's the point? You can't—won't take this further."

"Believe it or not, Miss Lima, you are wearing on me. And I don't want you to feel like an accessory anymore."

I study him for a long while. I know what he's getting at, but he's beating around the bush and I hate that. "What are you getting at, Doctor?"

"I... I want to see if this could work." He reaches for my hand and takes it into his own, "Will you accompany me for the day, Miss Lima?" He smiles a little, "Not as an escort or a sugar baby, but as a--"

"Date?" I finish for him.

"Yes."

I look down at our hands as I process everything. My heart skips a few beats, but I nod a little too eagerly. "Yes! I mean, yes, Doctor."

His smile brightens, and he kisses my hand, "Good." He stands, "You should get ready and I will meet you in the living room... or what's left of it. I made breakfast, by the way."

I nod, and he steps out of the guest room, leaving me to my thoughts. He wants to try... I sniffle as joyful tears began to form. I cannot be happier. I haven't been so happy in such a long, long time, the emotion is foreign to me. I leap out of bed and head for the closet to find something not-so-fancy to wear.