Chapter 27 : Cutting Ties

Erika takes me home so I can get Lark and my things. I didn't tell her about the ring or anything that happened in the stateroom. Once I'm at my sister's, I text Kazmir to at least make sure he's alright. Hours pass and I receive nothing. But somehow, between the crying and staring at my phone I managed to get some sleep in. But it's like I didn't sleep at all. All I can think about is him. Is he OK? Did that man, Dimitri, find him? Did he get away? My mind is still racing.

"Hey sis, you look - -" Erika's voice cuts off as soon as I emerge from the back of the apartment. Her German beau sitting beside her at the dining table, his eyes stuck on the Sunday news to keep him distracted.

"Uh, any word from Kazmir?" she asks, changing the subject.

I try not to burst into tears, "No..."

"Well, I'm sure he's OK. Maybe he's just as worked up as you are?"

I can only look back at my sister with blurred vision. She doesn't understand. She doesn't know, and I don't know if I can tell her the truth. I don't know what she'd think of me after, but right now I need to know what's going on with Kazmir.

"He's not responding and it's freaking me out." I announce, "That man was in my room. He - - he knows Kazmir."

"Wait, what?"

I turn back into the guest room to get my car keys, disregarding what I had just said or that Erika had even heard. I hurriedly and sloppily get dressed, not bothering with anything else. Bed hair and raccoon eyes be damned, I'm on a mission. My phone suddenly catches my eye; the green light blinking and giving me hope. Eagerly, I grab my phone to check, hoping and praying it was him. Even if he doesn't want to see me again, at least I know he's safe. That's when I see it - - a red exclamation mark to the left of every message I've sent followed by, "Message could not be sent."

My eyes widen with fear, "What...?" I try to send it again, but get the same error. I try calling him, fear rising within me as I listen for ringing on the other end. Instead, I get the dreaded, short, prerecorded message: "The number you are trying to dial is unavailable."

No...

"Where are you going?" Erika asks once I've reemerged.

"I'm going to his apartment."

"Edith, the police said to stay here."

I head for the door, "I don't care."

"Well I'm going with you!" My sister hurries out to meet me at my car, dressed in only an oversized t-shirt and shorts, her red hair still up in rollers.

I drive faster than I probably ever have. If it wasn't for these damn congested streets, I would have blown through intersections. It's crazy; I'm crazy, but I want him back. I don't want this to be over, not like this.

After what seems like a century or two, we arrive at the oh-so familiar apartment complex on Russian Hill. I rush out and run for the front door, leaving my car on the street for Erika to park or do whatever with. That is not my concern.

Inside the lobby a young, male sits behind the receptionist desk. The man instantly recognizes me, "Good morning, Ms. Lima..." His voice trails off when he notices how unprofessional looking I look. "Um, Ms. Lima are you - -"

"Where's Dr. Kolomna?" I ask desperately, "Did he ever come home last night or today?"

"Uh..." The man hesitates, "Yes, and no. I did see him come in, but he was very quiet. He just went up into his room, then came back down with a suitcase and had me call him a taxi to the airport. I dunno how fast he skipped town, but he just up and did." He then shrugs, before adding a soft, "Sorry, ma'am."