Chapter 5: Indecision

About 90 minutes in, there was still no major decision on what dresses I should ultimately choose. However, I found some outfits I could wear to a job interview or if I worked an office job. I nabbed those and hid them securely in my dressing room whilst Rey and Erika were busy hunting. Despite their eye for fashion, they were on opposite sides of the spectrum today. Erika wanted me to "break out of my shell" and show some skin, wear bright, flashy colors as she did. No, thank you. Rey knew my style: classy, and sometimes a little sexy, but it must be tasteful! But he seemed off his game as well, almost as if he was distracted by something. I sighed as I slumped in my seat, only wearing my bra and panties. With the number of clothes that were being thrown at me, there was no reason to even consider putting on anything else. I should have gone and done this alone.

There was a knock at my door and I jumped slightly. "Yes?" I called to possibly Erika. Rey wouldn't dare risk even catching a peek of me without any clothes on. It's his way.

"Edie it's me, open up!" Yup, that was Erika. Rey wouldn't call me that horrid nickname. I got up and unlocked the door for my sister only to be greeted with another four armfuls of dresses. "So I got to talkin' to Rey-Rey, and we found a compromise."

I arched a brow curiously, "Oh?"

"Yeah!" Erika let out a heavy sigh as she plopped down on the bench, laying the mountain of new dresses beside her. "Phew! These dresses must be made of good material if they weigh that much!"

"Or at least expensive," I muttered as I eyed the dresses.

"Anyway, we compromised: we agreed that you need something a bit more flashy, but it needs to be formal. I'll admit you have a sense of style, but you need to show some skin! You have a lovely figure, and the world needs to know about it!"

I frowned and crossed my arms over my chest. I'll admit I'm fond of form-fitting, just-above-the-knee dresses, and skirts, but my wide hips always earn me the wrong kind of attention. I'd rather not go through that again. I recalled my "meeting" with Dr. Kolomna. He liked my wiggle dress, but it wasn't really that tight, it had some give to it.

"So, we managed to find some not-so-slutty dresses that will maintain your dignity!" My sister offered me the first dress: a black off the shoulder with red roses going up the wrap of the top and lining the skirt. The skirt was layered with a slip underneath that ended above the knee. "I gotcha a belt to go with it," Erika added, "And I bet you have some red heels to match!"

"I do..." I muttered as I went to the mirror and held the dress against myself. I had to admit, it was pretty, but patterns aren't really my thing. I like solids, plain ol' solids. Still, if Rey and Erika were willing to meet halfway, I suppose I could too.

Rey let out the girliest gasp I think I'd ever heard from him as I stepped out of the dressing room to show him how I looked. "Edith!" He squealed, "You look absolutely gorgeous!"

"Do I?" I asked quizzically.

"Yes! It compliments your hair so well too! You really need to wear warmer colors, black gets kinda dull sometimes, you know?"

"Well, what do you think, Edie?" Erika asked from behind me, "Did we do good?"

I took a few steps back to observe myself once more in the mirror. I looked like I was going to a cocktail party. The open skirt on my hips felt foreign. I looked like those housewives you see in magazines. You know the ones all dressed up and in heels cleaning the house and cooking. Still, with some matching gloves and the right jewelry, I could make this work. I nodded as I came to my decision, "I like it." I said, "Let's add it to the "keep" pile."

"Keep pile?" Rey repeated, "I thought you sent back all of our choices?"

"I did, so I found some stuff myself."