Chapter 29 : Sweet Home SoCal

"Madl!"

My mother's accented voice manages to break through the chorus of people as I step down the stairs from the platform and into LA Union Station. I look around; I hear her, but I don't see her. Unlike the rest of us, my mother is a petite woman, but you'd think one could spot her ocean of curly, red hair anywhere. Just then, a mass of bouncy crimson catches my eye followed by another, "Madl!" which is Bavarian German for "daughter", something my mom calls all of us. I hurry over and there she is, bouncy and just as energetic as Erika. She hugs me tightly, as if reuniting with a long-lost child, and I guess there's some truth to that.

"Oh Edie," she says shakily, "it's been too long."

"I know, Mom." I tell her, "and I'm sorry for not keeping in touch."

"You're here now, and that's what matters." She lets me go, smiling softly despite her teary, blue eyes. "C'mon Madl, your father is waiting for us outside. We can talk more once we're home."

What's waiting for us outside of the station isn't just my dad, but the monster of a car he's standing next to. It's big, shiny, sleek, and not the old, beat up Chrysler Town and Country he'd been driving since I was a kid. Judging by the hood ornament, it's a Pierce-Arrow or something equally as luxurious. How Dad managed to get such a car is something I'm not going to question.

My dad's head snaps up from his phone to reveal the amber eyes I inherited. The corners of his eyes crinkle as he smiles at me warmly and I hurry into his arms. Christ, I've missed my parents, and it wasn't until now that I've realized it.

"Hey there," he rumbles in the gentlest way a man of 6-foot-something can. "Long time, no see."

"Hi Dad," I reply as I try not to get emotional again. "New car, huh?"

"Ugh, don't get him started, Madl." My mother interjects as she approaches. "Ever since Henry bought that thing, he's paid more attention to it than me!"

"I've paid attention to you for over 30 years," Dad shoots back teasingly, "I think that's decent enough, madam."

Mom merely rolls her eyes with annoyance; it's comforting to know my parents haven't changed much.

After a little more chatter and getting my luggage secure in the trunk, we're off for Burbank. The city of the rich and famous begins to fade as we reach the 5 heading north. I gaze out the backseat window with mild amusement as I look upon downtown LA in the distance, dusted in a light haze. Its skyline is something to be desired; it's nothing like San Francisco's. No iconic bridges or buildings, it just kind of... exists. It reminds me I need to send Erika a quick text to let her know I made it safely. Once that's taken care of, I nod off.

The trip from LA to Burbank isn't long if traffic is good, maybe 30 minutes if that, but I'm still exhausted. The 12hr train ride provided me little comfort and sleep only brought unpleasant memories along for the ride. Maybe being in a different environment with different people, knowing that I'm hundreds of miles away will calm my nerves and preserve what's left of my sanity.

The Pierce-Arrow rolls to a stop and rouses me. I look out the window to see my old stomping grounds, very little has changed. As I step out of the car, my suspicion seems true. Same houses painted the same way; I bet some of the neighbors from my childhood are still here. It's just your typical, quiet, American suburb nestled within something so much bigger.

"Home sweet home, Edie!" Mom states as she gets out to stretch. "You should head on in and rest, Madl. Your room is just how you left it!"

"And I'll be headin' back to the yard," My dad announces as he carries my luggage inside.