Chapter 3: Still Not a Date

"So," I said again for what seemed like the tenth time when it was only the second, "how was work?"

Dr. Kolomna answered with another grunt as he refilled my glass with another round of Chemin de Fer, a brand of wine from Lasseter Winery. After setting the bottle down, he groused, "It's days like these I value time spent researching." He took a swig from his own wineglass, shuddered, then continued, "Couples can be so irritating to work with; the answer to most of my patients is simple: talking!" He threw his arms out to emphasize his point, his gentle blue eyes now manic with energy.

I laughed loudly into my glass, nearly spilling it down my dress; truer words had never been spoken. Dr. Kolomna had taken me to Marshall's Beach, a small shoreline retreat on the left side of the Golden Gate Bridge. The beach was so small; the water easily reclaimed the shore once the tides rolled in. We sat upon two of the many large rocks scattered along the beach, watching the sun fall as the bay lapped gently against our seats. The wind blew lightly, but with this thin dress on, I was still feeling chilly. I glanced over at Dr. Kolomna; his gaze focused on the horizon, lost in thought.

"It's amazing how many problems can be solved by simply talking," I said, swishing my wine in my glass, "and how complicated people make the problem by not talking."

"Exactly; but, if a relationship were simple, people like me would be out of a job."

"Tell me about it..." With a sigh, I took another sip as I recalled my past relationships and not just the romantic ones.

"That would require rule breaking, Miss Lima." He was still looking at the water, but I could hear a hint of humor in his voice.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked suddenly. Taking me to the beach at night was sudden as much as it was odd. It was almost romantic.

"I come here often after work," Dr. Kolomna answered quietly. "It brings me peace, something rare in my life."

I opened my mouth to ask about it but immediately shut it upon remembering our rule and instead took another sip of wine. Damn, this was going to be hard to abide by. It was part of everyday conversation, and I was always stopped at the door.

The sounds of the bay were the only noise between us now. I looked up towards the horizon as the last bits of sunlight gave way to the night, the moon would be up soon and so would the tide. But Dr. Kolomna was right, sitting out here and listening to the waves was so calming. I'd have to spend more time by the water in the future.

"Why me?" The question came out too fast for me to stop myself, but I clamped my free hand over my mouth anyway.

"Hm?" Dr. Kolomna's attention shifted back onto me.

"Why did you agree to this, Doctor? You know my reasons, but I don't know yours." I shrugged a little. "You said you wanted companionship, but why me? And why pay for it?"

Dr. Kolomna chuckled, finishing off his glass before answering. "I prefer being alone, but sometimes you can't fight it." He looked back at the bay, his tone less playful. "Loneliness is a dangerous emotion, Miss Lima. It can drive a man crazy. Besides, you need help, and I'm happy to "share the wealth" as they say."

Before I could respond, he set his glass down beside the bottle of Chemin on a smaller rock in front of us and took off his shirt, showing off his sculpted physique. My mouth hung open and something inside me roared back to life. He paid me no mind until he was free of his jeans, revealing a pair of swim shorts covering a very noticeable package. Was he a, what do they call it, a "shower"? Because he was definitely showing off something!

He seemed unfazed by my dumbfounded expression as he turned to face me and asked casually, "Do you swim, Miss Lima?"

"I um..." I stammered, my mind struggling to register the chiseled God beside me. "I uh... yeah." I said finally. "Why?"