Chapter 26: Bullets over the East Bay

Those dark, dark eyes, that gravelly voice that makes my skin crawl. He's the guy who showed up at my door, and I have no doubt that he was among the group who stalked me after work. I immediately rise to my feet, hands fumbling in the dim moonlight to get the door unlocked so I can run. However, the sound of a gun clicking forces me to stop.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Devushka," he says teasingly. Even though I'm not facing him, I can feel him grinning at me. "Or Edith, if you prefer informalities. Either way, I would hate to see you splattered all over this fancy room."

I don't let go of the door knob, but I do turn to show I have stopped my escape attempt... for now. "What do you want from me?" I do my best to keep my voice steady and hide my fear.

"Kazimir likes them pretty," he continues, "He's no different than Misha. Xuxa had red hair too." The gun is stowed away, and in its place a cigarette. He lights it, the orange glow gives me a better view of his face and my assumptions are now confirmed. "Kazimir never kept them long, you must be special."

"I'll ask again," I say with a little more confidence, but only just, "Who are you and what do you want with me?"

He laughs, "Did he not tell you, Devushka? Are you still in the dark? Is simple, we want Kazimir. How do you get what you want? You hit them where it hurts." The warm glow of the cigarette shifts slightly in my direction, indicating that he's pointing at me. "That would be you, Devushka."

A knock at the door breaks the tension and makes me jump. A small yelp escapes me, possibly alerting whomever is on the other side that it's occupied.

"Edith?" Kazmir's voice brings me no comfort.

Suddenly, the cold, unforgiving metal of what I can only assume is the gun kisses my back. The intruder's face is close to mine, the smell of nicotine on his breath is hot and heavy. It burns my nostrils, making me dizzy. Nausea and fear rush through me, tears sting my eyes. I don't know what to do.

"Answer him." he orders.

I look back at the door, "Y-yes?" I do my best to not sound so scared.

Kazmir sighs sadly, "If you want nothing more to do with me, I understand, but I at least want to make sure you're OK."

My mind is screaming for me to cry for help, for him to stay away. The end of the gun shifts from my back to my temple, the cold metal painfully stinging my skin. A silent order to keep on with the conversation.

"I... I understand," I manage, "why you kept it from me."

"Can I come in?"

I gulp, looking to my capturer for confirmation. He nods and I let out a strained, "Yes."

As the door opens, I'm dragged backwards and time seems to slow down. The light flicks on to reveal my situation. Kazmir's eyes grow wide with horror. I want to scream and run into his arms, but fear keeps me in place.

"Edith!?" Kazmir screams.

"Plemyannik!" my captor yells joyfully. "Good to finally see you after so long!"

Kazmir's eyes narrow as he scans the other man in thought, "...Dimitri?"

"Ah, good! You remember your uncle!"

"Let her go, she has nothing to do with this!"

Dimitri shakes his head mockingly, "Plemyannik, you know just as well as I do how this works. You've done this before..."

"It doesn't matter!" Kazmir growls with restrained anger, "You got what you wanted, now release her or - -"

"Or you'll what?" the gun shifts from me to him, pointed right at Kazmir's heart. "You know, Misha didn't specify whether or not he wanted you home alive. And I have no issue taking you out at this point; dead men don't talk." Dimitri turns his attention back towards me, "Devushka, on the other hand, would do good in Russia. Will find out if the rumor about American women being whores is true."