21

"you are so funny," nadia laughed, her voice growing higher as she tugged on mackenzie and pulled her towards another hallway, opposite from the direction they were supposed to be heading. mackenzie's eyebrows shot up high as she inspected nadia. she was acting really weird today - nadia would die rather than laugh at her jokes.

"okay, stop," mackenzie narrowed her eyes at nadia as she halted, "first of all, you never, ever say that i'm funny. secondly, calculus is over there, what are we doing here?"

"uh-i, walking the long way is good exercise," nadia's voice rose to an even higher pitch as she looked nervously over mackenzie's shoulders. mackenzie sighed. nadia was never a good liar.

"spill, what's going on," mackenzie demanded and started to turn around when nadia grabbed her shoulders tightly and laughed.

"nothing, now let's go this way," nadia giggled, as mackenzie furrowed her eyebrows. nadia never, ever giggles. scowling, she spun out of nadia's hands as she turned around.

mackenzie's heart clenched tightly at the sight that greeted her. johnny was smiling and laughing with his new girlfriend by his locker. for a moment, mackenzie felt tempted to pull out her diary and compose a long rant about it just like how she usually would, but her heart immediately hardened as she thought of what she had written yesterday - he can f*** himself for all she cared. taking a deep breath, she faced nadia once again, a dull ache replacing the tremor in her chest.

"i'm sorry, i know, i mean, i tried to stop you, but-" nadia's rambling was cut off halfway by mackenzie as she tugged at the ends of her hair tiredly.

"i know that they are a couple already, nads," mackenzie sighed, looking down at her heels, "everyone in school knows,"

"i knew it, i knew it would get to your ears soon! that's why i suggested ditching school, but you were such a goody-two shoes," nadia grumbled as she shook mackenzie by her shoulders slightly, "you aren't sad, though?"

"there's nothing i can do anyway," mackenzie shrugged, fingering the straps of her bag as she tried not to peek out of the corner of her eye. don't peek, don't look, forget him.

"he's so stupid to choose that dumb looking brunette over you," nadia scoffed as she pointed the finger in his direction, "maybe he chose her because she looks so much like you,"

"me?" mackenzie widened her eyes as she patted her hair self consciously.

"yea, she has brown hair and brown eyes too," nadia commented listlessly as mackenzie squinted in their direction once again. they looked happy. she pressed a hand to her chest as her heart squeezed.

"i feel that it's such a waste, though, you did put in so much effort," nadia sighed as she shook her head, "are you just gonna let it go like this?"

hearing her words, mackenzie's brain whirled as the gears started clicking together. not long, a devilish plan popped into her head as she smirked.

"you are right," mackenzie grinned, "i do need to do something. after all, it's their first day of dating,"

"oh dang, that face doesn't bode well," nadia wrinkled her nose, "just don't do anything stupid that would hurt yourself in the end,"

"i won't," mackenzie brushed her away as she mused, "i'm merely going to give them a big present,"

"it's time to put on a show that no one would ever forget,"

. . .

mackenzie smirked as she sauntered towards where johnny was seated at. the corners of her mouth lifted even higher when she realised that sophia was nowhere in sight. perfect. when that dumb nerd comes back, she would receive the best surprise in her life.