22

johnny didn't know what to think.

he watched as mackenzie blushed profusely before getting down from his lap, leaving tingly sensations all over him. her cheeks were flushed bright red and johnny could see that she was battling against whether she should talk to him. she had always been a shy girl, and that spur of confidence she had displayed a while ago couldn't help but flash in his mind. he liked it, though.

it was johnny's turn to blush as the scene replayed in his head continuously. unconsciously, he touched his lips briefly, turning to see mackenzie doing the same. did she...perhaps like him? no, he didn't dare to think of that.

maybe he should confess. johnny's heart rate quickened as he rubbed his palms on his jeans nervously. would she accept it? if he was rejected, he would never be able to face her again. consumed in his thoughts, johnny failed to realise what, or rather who mackenzie was staring at, until he lifted up his head. frowning, his eyes followed the trail of hers as he caught sight of a curtain of brown hair disappearing around the corner.

the only girl that he knew had almost the same hair color as mackenzie was sophia. oh crap, she must have saw everything. johnny buried his head in his hands as he felt guilt nagging in the pit of his stomach. after just dating for barely a few hours, he had completely forgotten about her. he was a terrible boyfriend. even if he did not have feelings for her, he should never have treated her in this way. maybe it would be the best if he broke off with her. johnny did not want to hurt an innocent girl who had nothing to do with the mess in his life. weighed down with regret, he sighed as he watched mackenzie out of the corner of his eyes. she was way too enticing.

as he was lost in remorse, mackenzie turned to him as she piped up, "well, john, thank you for your cooperation. hope you enjoyed your couple's gift,"

hope you enjoyed your couple's gift. johnny turned to look at mackenzie's blank face, confused. what did she mean by that?

couple's gift. sophia running off. mackenzie saying that they had done it the previous night. the gears in johnny's head whirred as they started to piece out the puzzle. johnny narrowed his eyes as what mackenzie really meant registered in his head. so the kiss had been nothing to her, and all she was doing was getting revenge and splitting him and sophia up?

"what do you mean?" johnny scowled as he clenched his fists. he refused to believe it.

"what do i mean?" mackenzie scoffed weakly, her voice holding several emotions as johnny's heart trembled.

chuckling lowly, he brushed a hand through his hair as he looked at mackenzie, disbelief written all over his face. here he was, happy like an idiot at the thought that she, perhaps, might even like him; happy like an idiot because of that one stupidly mindblowing kiss. but it turns out he was just living in his own daydream. johnny felt like a fool as he stared at the unfamiliar girl seated in front of him, cracks attacking his heart, leaving him breathless. he should have known better than let his wandering thoughts get the better of him. mackenzie would never, ever like someone like him. he was way out of her league.

she was merely trying to get revenge on him - pull him to her like a drug, before hurting him a millions times until he swore her off in rehab.

she had changed so much that he didn't even recognise her. but he was still so stupidly in love with her. johnny missed her, a lot. he missed even being her best friend.

smiling bitterly, he got up in a flash as he grabbed his bag.

"wait, where are you going?" mackenzie's voice distracted him as he turned to look at her, removing all the emotions from his eyes.

"i'm going after sophia," johnny replied curtly, even though he had not even thought of that.

he could only watch as mackenzie's face fell, leaving him more alone than he had ever felt.

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]

school starts soon :(