18

mackenzie walked down the hall, her ten inch high boots clicking against the tiles as she surveyed her surroundings coldly.

all around her, there were people gossiping about her as usual. bitch. slut. boyfriend stealer. she could hear those words reverberating around the hallways. she tried to suppress her flinch as they rang in her head. they didn't understand the meaning of the word 'whisper'. maybe they just wanted to hurt her on purpose, mackenzie pushed the thought to the back of her head quickly, she had no time to get distracted by a few harmless words. but the tug on her heart proved otherwise.

setting her lips into a firm line, mackenzie sauntered past a group of girls who were pointing at her style of dressing and giving her dirty looks. that'll give them something else to talk about. but today was her day, and mackenzie wasn't going to give two flying f***s about what they thought about her. their opinions didn't matter anymore.

dressed in a cropped tank top and an extra tiny denim skirt with far too many rips, her arms and legs were on full display. mackenzie would have been disgusted with herself a few months back, but now her only aim was to dress as sluttily as she could. that was what everyone expected from her, anyway. smiling bitterly to herself, she raised her head higher. they were going to get what they wanted.

. . .

nadia, however, was not at all impressed. scowling as she caught sight of mackenzie, she gave her a hard slap over the head.

"bitch, it's winter. what are you trying to do? freeze your tiny ass off?" nadia scoffed, while mackenzie winced. nadia gave horrible slaps, especially with those nails of hers. thinking about nails, mackenzie shuddered as she pressed her hand over her right cheek lightly. it had healed a little overnight, but it was definitely going to leave a scar.

"i do not have a tiny ass," mackenzie retorted, but nevertheless turned around unconsciously as she peeked at her behind. was her ass tiny? she had never noticed.

"you do. now, why are you dressed so skimpily? i'm pretty sure that although i did teach you how to be a fashionable queen, i did not tell you to wear such a revealing skirt,"

"i'm just trying to be who i am," mackenzie said quietly, lowering her voice as a group of giggling cheerleaders sashayed past.

"what?" nadia frowned, before widening her eyes as she realised what her friend meant, "oh no, mackenzie, you can't possibly think that,"

"yes," mackenzie sighed, scuffing the ground with her boots, "can't make everyone disappointed, can i?"

"idiot. if i succumb to their words so easily back then, how did i manage to become the queen bee?" nadia gripped mackenzie's hand tightly, before continuing, "don't listen to them, their words mean nothing,"

"did any of them call you a slut before?" mackenzie retorted, brushing her hand through her hair tiredly, shrugging as nadia looked down and shook her head slightly, "that's my point, you'll understand if you were in my place,"

"but-" nadia struggled for words, tightening her hold on mackenzie, "what about johnny?"

mackenzie's lips quirked up into a weak smile. johnny. both a curse and a blessing. he was the one who turned her into this girl even she herself didn't recognise. so what if she continued to stay loyal to him? so what if she tried to catch his attention? he wouldn't even respond.

"didn't what happened yesterday tell you everything you needed to know?" mackenzie asked lightly, fluffing up her curled hair.

"think this through, please" nadia urged, as mackenzie took her hand back. it was rare to see the queen bee begging her friends, but mackenzie shook her head resolutely.