Capture the Flag. (One-Shot)

((This is going to be in Annabeth's POV, because I might want to write future chapters in the next story in her POV, maybe... So I'm practicing now! And Merry Christmas all my readers!))

I'm just finishing the ties to my Greek chest-plate over my shoulders, and as I run my fingers along the shoulder straps to make sure they're secure, Malcolm walks over.

"Annabeth, are you sure this will work?"

I look up and glance over to where the children of Ares prepare themselves, their boastful chants filling the open air of the neutral zone of the capture the flag battlefield. Reagan is there, of course, smiling at something as she kneels down to make sure the guards on her legs are tight enough to not slip off. She catches my gaze and smirks a little, lips twisting up into a lopsided expression. As she winks at me and straightens, I avert my eyes quickly and look back to my half-brother with a nod.

"Of course. My plans always work, and I know how it'll happen. As long as Charlie does his part, everything will work out just fine."

As the final preparations come to an end, Chiron signals for the opposing teams to go their separate ways to plant their flags in their chosen spots, and I take the time to go over the plans and the map with my teammates.

"Leave that part to me. I'll take care of her," I'm finishing as I fold the map of the surrounding forest.

A horn blows, echoing throughout the trees and signalling that the battle has begun. We all look at each other and nod in understanding, then fan out in different directions. We're in teams of two, and my partner is Jake Mason of the Hephaestus cabin. Him and I have never really spoken in the past, and since we don't want to be found right away for the plan to work, the walk is silent but tense. We're waiting and listening at every sound that isn't our own, always trying to discern if it's the wildlife in the forest or an enemy camper. At one point, we have to dive into a bush as footsteps draw closer, and two camper's who aren't on our team come through the clearing, gaze sweeping over everything in search of the flag or another camper to attack. As they move on, Jake is about to get up so that we can keep going, but I hear the soft footsteps approaching us and I grab him by the hem of his shirt that's sticking out under his armor and tug him back into hiding. Seconds later, Reagan comes stomping through, her spear in hand. My eyes are drinking in how she looks when dressed in battle armor: She looks less....mortal, when she's dressed for battle. Green eyes are sharp, much more Ares-like then usual. Reagan looks like an Athenian soldier right now, and the more I stare the more I realize that I might be drooling as much as Percy does in his sleep. Jake motions to get my attention, a quick gesture with his hand and I nod in response, and as he silently slips out of the bush and hastily makes his escape, I make my entrance so that Reagan doesn't notice him leaving.

When she spins around, weapon at the ready now, her harsh gaze softens for a split second when she looks at me. But then those eyes narrow suspiciously: "What are you planning?"

It's like she's reading my mind.

"I'm going to take you captive," I say, making sure my voice carries the confidence without letting it slip at all. "We both know that you can't take me down. Then, as others take care of Clarisse, we'll be taking your flag and winning the game." I taunt with a knowing smile. "Have fun doing our dishes for a month."

She scowls. "I don't care how pretty you are, you're going down."

Reagan lunges suddenly as I expected her to, and with my own sword I parry the attack and make sure to create some distance between us. That's when I notice that there are absolutely no flames at the tip of her spear like I had thought there'd be.

"Reagan Romero, you better not be going easy on me."

The serious facade slips, and she laughs a little as I charge and strike at her. Unlike her, I have a shield in my off hand that I use to block a strike she attempts with the blunt end of her weapon. Sextus is a beautiful spear, and I marvel at the small detailed engravings carved into the staff, and I briefly wonder if she's polishing her weapon or if it never gets dirty in the first place. She swipes with the business end next, and I duck beneath the attack and with my shield I bash her in the legs suddenly. Reagan let's out a yelp and jumps back, surprised by the attack and a little more wary of me then before.

Good. That'll teach you to underestimate me.

She takes a second to bend down and rub her leg, though it was probably a lot less painful with the knee guards on then if I smacked her bare leg with my metal shield. Growling, Reagan presses forward but I'm resilient to each and every attack, pushing her backwards one step at a time until we're under the shade of a tree and we're both covered in sweat and panting softly. She looks angry, and while I'm starting to get tired myself, I'm smirking at her smugly.

"I'll give you this much," I begin, sword pointed at her quickly rising and falling chest. "You children of Ares sure have a lot of endurance."

Reagan opens her mouth and lets out a heavy breath of air. "I'm not done yet." She snarls.

"Yes you are." Before she can question me, I shout: "Now, Jake!"

Her eyes go wide as she registers what's happening, but before she can dive out of the way, Jake pops up from his hiding spot and with two hands yanks a thick thread of rope. The cord runs up into the tree that we're under, and Reagan's gaze quickly follows it through the branches until she reaches the end; two loops on the ground, both around her feet. Reagan tries her hardest to react in time and leap away, but by the time she starts moving the ropes coil around both her ankles. I run over to Jake and grab onto the rope, helping him yank the daughter of the God of War up until she's dangling from the branches, fingertips barely grazing the ground below her. Sextus had fallen out of her grasp and lay forgotten on the ground as Reagan desperately wrestles with the tightly wrapped ropes around her ankles, unable to reach them or loosen them at all. We're laughing, taking a breather to watch her hang there helplessly. We tie the rope around a large tree trunk, making sure that it's secure before he goes off to help his fellow teammates somewhere else, leaving Reagan and I alone together. She's still trying halfheartedly to get free, and I watch with amusement and walk over in a casual stride. She finally stops fighting to glare up at me, the usually scary expression looks humorous because her long hair hangs down. I giggle softly and get down on my knees so that our heads are somewhat on the same level, but her glare doesn't cease.

I prod her between her eyebrows, where the angry wrinkles are the worst. "Like my trap?"

"Do I look like I like it?"

Her anger quickly transforms into confusion then surprise as I lean forward and capture her lips in a quick kiss, hands roaming up to cup her upside down face. The position feels a little weird, and when I smile against her lips, I feel her mimic me in turn and kiss back. My heart flutters rapidly in my chest from the small motion.

"Oh." The sound that escapes her lips when I pull back is somewhere between surprise and pleased, and her face is red from more then just the blood rushing to her head.

Smiling widely in satisfaction, I stand up and brush the dirt off my knees. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a game to win."

Her eyes go wide. "Annabeth, wait-"

But I'm already jogging in the opposite direction.

"Y-You can't just leave me hanging!" Reagan calls in dismay.

That's when I slowly come to a stop and smile at her over my shoulder. "See you at the July Fourth fireworks?" I invite slyly and then I'm leaving finally to help my team capture the flag as Reagan's various protests echo in the distance.