An Old Friend.

The first thing that Reagan did after helping Percy untie their friends was throw the rest of the food from the barbeque into the coals, dark wisps of smoke curling into the sky. Her lips parted in silent prayer, only to pause because she wasn’t sure what to say exactly. She did not pray to Ares as much as she should have in the past. Settling with a sigh, her shoulders tensed up and she looked back to the sky pensively.

“..Thanks, dad. Enjoy your hamburgers.”

There was a low rumbling in the sky like thunder, and the enchanted ring on her finger began to heat up, a pulsating warm sensation spreading up her arm from that hand. It was comforting. More so than Annabeth, who was uncharacteristically quiet about what had happened. Reagan was certain that the blonde girl would chastise her for throwing herself into a battle instead of just having hope for Percy to accomplish his task. But in her defense, that was a lot of poop to have to clean up, and she still wasn’t sure if he did it or how he did it.

“Nico,” Reagan began cautiously. “I’m glad you’re safe, but you shouldn’t be-”

“Don’t tell me what to do!” he snapped angrily. “You got Bianca killed!”

This made her flinch back, hurt by his words. She averted her gaze guiltily, because the death of Bianca still haunted her thoughts. “If it helps, I’ll be joining her soon as well,” she said cooly, scarily calm in the face of death, because she had accepted the fact that she would die.

The caused him to pause, eyes narrowing suspiciously. But before he could say anything, Annabeth cut in. “Reagan’s right.” She glanced over, and their eyes met briefly before her grey orbs settled on the boy again. “If Kronos captures you…”

Nico shook his head. “I don’t care as long as I get my sister back! That’s why I’m down here!”

Reagan blinked in surprise. “You’re not here….for me?”

He scoffed. “Of course not. Why would I want you? I’m here for Bianca!”

“What do you mean?” Reagan asked.

“Wait. You’re going to bring her back?” Percy asked shortly.

Annabeth shook her head slowly in disbelief, arms crossing over her chest as she glanced to all her companions. “Bianca wouldn’t want that, Nico.”

“You don’t know her!” he snapped angrily. “How would you know what she’d want?!”

The son of Poseidon pursed his lips. “Let’s call her up and see what she has to say about it.”

Nico pouted, and it was like the whole air around them turned into ice. “I’ve tried. She hasn’t answered me.”

On most occasions, Reagan would be content that a ghost didn’t answer a call. Being a Demigod, she had grown accustomed to strange things. It was a part of her everyday life living at Camp Half-Blood. But ghosts were different and she barely had any experience with them, and had only gone to the Underworld once, but they barely had any experience with the spectres. But this was Bianca. How bad could it be?

She regretted this decision to be there during the ritual almost immediately. The preparations had taken the rest of their day, and by the time that they were ready the sun was beginning to set. The edge of the forest where the trench was that they were using had gone eerily silent once Nico began to chant in Greek. Mist curled out from the line of trees, and after a few minutes small wisps of light danced into sight: Ghosts coming to answer his summons. It suddenly hit Reagan like a freight train; she was going to see Bianca again. Her heart began to race, pounding against her ribcage fearfully. What would she say to Bianca if the girl made an appearance? Would she be angry that she wasn’t saved? Something nudged her side, and Reagan jumped slightly in surprise and looked down to see Annabeth’s hand brush against her own, and she slowly clasped their hands together tightly. It was reassuring, knowing that Annabeth was there by her side, even if they didn’t speak to each other at all.