Annabeth Takes a Quest.

The senior cabin leaders met up to talk about plans for the entrance to the Labyrinth. Reagan had become the leader of the Ares cabin, but Clarisse was still included because of her experiences with the Labyrinth. They congregated in the training arena, where in the background Mrs. O'Leary chewed on a training dummy, Greek armor and all. Chiron was there as a Centaur along with Quintus, who kept himself busy by sharpening his blade.

"Right now we're setting up defenses. We plan on having a watch on the entrance all day and night, seven days a week," Lee Fletcher of the Apollo cabin reported.

"And my siblings and I are working on setting up traps to catch the army by surprise," Charles Beckendorf said, arms crossed over his chest.

Clarisse, who sat in the front along with Reagan and Annabeth, said, "But what we really need is to go in and make it so that Luke and his army of monsters can't get in at all."

Percy, who sat next to Tyson, frowned. "Can't we just blow it up?"

"Tried that," she answered. "There's an opening near my mom's house in Arizona that I found. At first I used dynamite, but it barely made a crack. Then I used a wrecking ball, but the opening would just appear a few feet away, unharmed."

     This answer caused the cabin leaders to mutter amongst themselves worriedly. How could they stop Luke and his army from getting through something that they couldn't destroy?

"I believe a quest into the Labyrinth is in order," Chiron cut in, but he cantered on his hooves nervously.

"We think Clarisse should lead the quest!" the Stoll brothers piped up simultaneously.

This caused the older daughter of Ares to stiffen, and Reagan wasn't surprised by the outburst that followed. "No way."

"Is the brave daughter of Ares scared of a few dark caves?" the twins taunted.

     Her face darkened with a mixture of anger and embarrassment. Clarisse stood up abruptly, hands balled into fists. Everyone was ready to jump up if she decided to clobber them, but that didn't happen.

"You wouldn't catch me going into there. Never again!" she shouted and stormed out of the arena.

There was shocked silence before Travis Stoll spoke up, voice meek, "We were only joking..."

The old centaur sighed sadly and shook his head. "I know," he said. "But Clarisse has been through a lot this past summer."

Annabeth stood up hesitantly. "I-I can lead the quest."

Reagan probably shared the same expression as Chiron: Fear.

Chiron moved anxiously on his hooves, but nodded. "Annabeth, go into the attic to see the Oracle. See if the spirit of Delphi has anything to say at all." As she nodded and got up to leave, he added, "And do be careful."

     It was like sending his daughter to her death. Reagan bit back anything she had to say and sank back into her chair reluctantly, watching as Annabeth walked in the direction of The Big House.

     Reagan paced about endlessly, making everybody else there anxious. Eventually, as she sat down in an open chair where Clarisse once sat, Silena Beauregard sat down next to her casually.

"How are you and Annabeth doing?"

"Excuse me?"

"You know," Silena said as she nudged her. "I saw you guys on the beach a couple nights ago. It's really cute."

Reagan blushed and stared at The Big House, trying to see if she could discern any movement from the attic window. "We're good," she answered, deciding not to delve into details. Besides, she wasn't entirely sure what they were sometimes.