Reagan Goes To Jail.

Reagan remembered seeing Hera last year, when the gods were debating on whether to kill her friends Percy and Thalia because they were powerful, and susceptible to becoming evil and joining Kronos. But now she just looked like an ordinary mother serving lunch to her children. But Reagan wasn't buying it at all. She stayed sitting up, leaning against the running water fountain and watching Hera closely as the others chowed down on the assortment of sandwiches and lemonade.

"Queen Hera," Annabeth piped up. "I can't believe it. What are you doing down here in the Labyrinth?"

Hera smiled and snapped her fingers, and Annabeth's hair combed itself. The grime of the Labyrinth magically vanished.

"I came to see you, naturally," she answered.

An angry glint flickered in Reagan's eyes. She crossed her arms over her chest and clicked her tongue as she watched the goddess suspiciously.

"Of course," she said blatantly. "But now what do you want?"

Ares, her own father, never came to her to help because he, "wanted to see them," but because he wanted something in return. All the gods were like that. Hera will be no different.

"Reagan!" Annabeth hissed in warning.

Hera seemed to smile calmly, her hands crossed on her lap. She turned a startling cold gaze to Reagan. "Ah, yes. You're one of Ares...children," she managed, and Reagan had the distinct indication that "children" wasn't the word she wanted to use. "I do remember you from the council last year. That little...outburst you had was quite a show."

The tone of her voice made Reagan feel...challenged. It made her angry.

"You think that warning was a joke?" she snapped heatedly. Instead of gripping her ring and twisting it nervously, she seemed to hesitate, however, like she was torn between pulling out her weapon and remaining calm. "Why are you here?" she asked again. "You don't like heroes."

Hera waved her hand dismissively. "You mean that little spat between Hercules and I? Oh please, I get so much bad press for just one little disagreement."

Annabeth's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "Didn't you kill him, like, three times?"

"Water under the bridge, my dear. Besides, he was one of my loving husband's children of another woman. I must admit, my patience wore thin. But Zeus and I have had some excellent marriage counseling sessions since then. We've aired our feelings and came to an understanding - especially after that last little incident."

"You mean when he sired Thalia?" Percy guessed, but immediately regretted that decision upon the withering look he got.

"Percy Jackson," Hera observed. "If I remember correctly, I voted to let you live at the winter solstice. I hope I made the right decision." She looked back to Annabeth, and a sunny smile appeared on her face. "At any rate, I certainly bear you no ill will, my girl. I appreciate the difficulty of your quest. Especially when dealing with nuisances like Janus."

Annabeth frowned and lowered her gaze. "What was he doing here?" she asked. "He was driving me crazy."

"Trying to," Hera agreed. "The minor gods have always been frustrated in the little parts they play in the universe," she explained. "Some, like Janus, may be easily swayed to join my father in this war."

"Your father?" Percy said. "Oh, right."

Hera nodded slightly. "We must watch the minor gods. Janus. Hecate. Morpheus. They give lip service to Olympus, yet-"

"That's where Dionysus went," Percy remembered. "He went to go check on the minor gods."

"Indeed." She stared up at the fading mosaic tiles. "You see, in times of trouble, even gods can lose faith. They begin to put their trust in the wrong things. They stop looking at the big picture and begin being selfish. But I am the goddess of marriage. I'm used to perseverance. You have to rise above the squabbling and chaos, and keep believing. You have to always keep your goal in mind," she advised.