Chapter 34: The Aftermath

Three Weeks Later

It took me two weeks before my parents stopped drugging my water with a sleeping drought and another week before I could leave London. But I was back home in the United States now, walking in my mother's familiar rose garden in Belcourt Estates feeling better than before when I found her.

Emmeline Fountaine was sitting at her wrought iron table by her roses sipping another hot cup of tea when her daughter arrived at the scene. Wearing a long cotton sun dress with her hair up in a loose braid crown, Emmeline Fountaine once again pulled off the flawless summer look all the other mothers in Newport were trying to replicate. Ava found this effortless side of her mother rather annoying, especially since it was Ava's friends who constantly gushed about it.

But that day, Ava's mind was not focused on her mother's clothes but rather on a more important matter.

Hogwarts.

"I only have a half hour before I meet with Clara over the formal dinner, mon ange."

"Well then thank you for giving me so much of your expensive time, I'll try to use it wisely," I commented, taking a seat down in front of my now glaring mother.

"Was that sass?"

"No."

"Mmhmm," my mother muttered with a raised eye brow as she took another sip of her tea.

"That would not be the way I would start a conversation that is as dear to you as this," My mother went on as she lowered her cup back on the table.

I crossed my arms gruffly and turned away from her, knowing full well she was right.

"Mamen I know you're not going to send me back to Hogwarts next year. I just need you to say it out right if you're going to do it. Otherwise I will just keep hoping," I said simply, catching my mother's surprised look.

"Ah, look at you; so direct. Maybe if you had better posture I could imagine you leading a group like I do," She mused with a smile. "But alas, your slumped in your seat, hunched over and you're crossing your arms, Ava Fountaine, uncross those arms or else you'll get a hump on your back!" she demanded, reaching over the table to unhook my arms quickly.

Biting my tongue, I pushed myself up in my seat and placed my shoulders back.

"Better?" I asked. My mother shrugged.

"It's okay. Now, back on topic. What makes you think I won't let you back at Hogwarts next year? She asked curiously, now fully focusing on me.

"Well where do I start? I almost got myself killed, a monster ran loose in the school, and I misbehaved in more ways than one. Would you like me to keep going?" I asked sweetly but my mother had already returned her gaze to her tea.

"Hmm yes, you're right. You know you really would make a great co-leader of an establishment. Very good at convincing people."

"I don't want to convince you to kick me out of Hogwarts," I replied belittled. My mother sighed dramatically before laying back into her seat to watch me, feigning ignorance.

"Oh? Mon Ange, tell me. What benefits does Hogwarts have if we let you stay there?"

I let my mind race for a moment to come up with ideas before sitting up straighter again in my seat, ready to respond.

"You and father need me to go Hogwarts in order to keep your residence in London." I watched as my mother shrugged, as if not caring.

"That is why Theo is at Hogwarts, darling. What makes Hogwarts so helpful for you? How can you grow to our benefit?" She asked again, this time in all seriousness.