Chapter 3: Summer

The next morning, I was not even halfway down the stairs in my nightgown when I heard my mother complaining from the kitchen about the rumors spreading last night. I paused as I heard my father angrily speak about everyone around us and their gossip and then of Ilvermorny.

"You just can't make this up, Emmeline! It's his fault and you know it and it is because of him that our house name is in ruins!"

He then said what mother had been hiding from last night and like a jab, I felt my whole body take affect of the information. With my blood boiling and my mind coming up with quick actions, I raced back up the stairs two at a time racing toward my brother's room.

Now, I have always had a flare for dramatics so it can be no surprise that on finding my brother's door shut, I took it upon myself to fling the door open to allow myself the chance to rush in with my aura of rage.

What I found upon entering my brother's room was Theo laying on his bed with a book in one hand and a quill in the other. His dark hair was messy and close to covering his eyes that were moments before reading. He looked up at my entrance and grinned at me, obviously recognizing the anger in my expression.

"You idiot!" I yelled, rushing up to him. Theo sat up from his bed and promptly knocked me over as I came at him.

I quickly rose from the ground and straightened my night gown before turning back to him.

"You burned down the greenhouse at Ilvermorny! Why are you so stupid?" I screeched as I stomped my foot on the ground. My brother only chuckled and continued to read his book, completely ignoring me.

I screeched at him again, this time while grabbing his book from his bed and tossing it on the ground. Now he looked at me full on with annoyance.

"What do you want?" He asked.

"You got expelled from Ilvermorny! You stupid pyromaniac! I want you dead!" I yelled back in a heated tone.

"Wow, that's news to me" Theo grumbled, pushing my back to the wall before grabbing the book that I threw on the ground quickly and started back to his formal position.

As a quick reaction, I pushed my brother again causing him to hit the corner of the bed with a comforting thud.

"I can't go to Ilvermorny anymore because of you! Everything I planned is gone now thanks to your sudden urge for attention." I informed him angrily. Theo, who was rubbing his side where he hit the bed gave me a malicious smile.

"Why would I care if you can't go to Ilvermorny anymore? You've never been there before anyway."

He was right about this, but that did not mean I did not know that school inside and out. From all the stories, I've heard from my father and brothers from when they were at school, I had started to create a perfect visual of the school in my head where one day I would go and attend. Or I was.