50: Impasse

"The General Commander of the Western Subjugation Army and Governor of Balbadd, His Excellency, Ren Kouen!"

From above, Kouen sat on his golden throne with the same intimidating and sharp gaze he always has on. Alibaba and his household are doing their salute to him with the Alibaba's eyes gazing up at Kouen which earns him criticism from the officials of the Kou Empire present in Balbadd and from Kouen's household as well.

"What blasphemy!"

"How dare a banished prince act defiant with his highness Prince Kouen!"

"Prostrate yourself! On your knees and show respect!"

These protests echoed all throughout the large hall. The citizens of Balbadd had their breath on hold as they silently prayed for their former prince to not do what the Kou Empire said. Him doing so will show that they completely submitted to the new identity the Empire had plastered on them and Balbadd will cease to exists.

Getting down on one knee, Alibaba's eyes remained sharp and unwavering.

"I can do that just that if you want, but are you sure? Here in Balbadd, we have that old custom that we prostrate ourselves in front of a pregnant woman in prayers of a safe delivery. Do you still want me to continue?" He calmly said but his tone was sharp and clear.

The officials were stricken with fear and panic as they gazes switched back and forth to the prince who has a nonchalant expression, his chin rested on the back of his hand, and the people of Balbadd who were on their knees that was meant for a pregnant woman.

"S-STAND UP! GET UP! ALL OF YOU LOT!" Yelled the soldiers to the citizens who smiled inwardly at their prince's cleverness.

"My prince, you are still full of surprises. Thank you."

A small chuckle was then heard that slowly escalated to a laugh.

"I'm done with this. Leave us alone, everyone." He stood up from his throne and stripped off his formal outer coat and was replaced by his regular one by his household members.

"But your excellency! We can't just leave!! For you to speak with someone of such low birth...do you really want to do that?" the old official's condescending smile was now replaced with a terrified one because of his blunder from earlier.

"I'm sure. Just leave."

"Well this is getting boring. Say something." Kouen chimed as he stares at the timid blond at the other side of the long table in his private villa inside the reformed palace. The architecture, color, and every little ornament inside just screams Kou to Alibaba's face.

The boy snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Kouen before pulling out a bag given to him back in Sindria.

'This man is indeed a tyrant. I can't believe that Yukiko-san will be this guy's wife.' He told himself.

"Before anything else, I have something to give you from Yukiko-san." when he placed the item covered with a silky blue cloth on the table, Kouen was sure it was box made out of wood with something of a pottery inside since he heard it clinked. On the blue cloth covering the said box was the embroidered insignia of the royal family of Xue or the crest of the Heiwa family, along with some opaqued dragon prints on it.

"Hm." the red haired prince hummed with a nod as he gestures to one of his vassals to get the item from Alibaba.

"Here is a small plant that she also asked me to give to you. Plant it on any soil and infuse it with some of your magoi she said." He explained to the first prince.