Chapter 49

I look at max and she smiles at me.

"You're can't be serious. Is this some kind of joke?", I ask and she frantically shakes her head.

"No it's not. I promise that I'm telling the truth."

I open my mouth to say something but no words come out. I just look at her and wonder why we haven't heard of her till now.

"I'm the child from our dad's first mating. Did he ever mention it? If he didn't then I can see how this might come as a shock."

She steps closer to me, "Can I hug you?"

Her question catches me off guard but I nod and she throws herself at me. I hug her back with as much enthusiasm.

"I was scared to see how you'd react, it was Nina that convinced me to tell you."

"What did you expect?"

She shrugs and tucks her hands in the back pocket of her jeans, "I just thought maybe you wouldn't be to happy to see me. Or worse, you'd think I was lying."

"I know you're not. My mother mentioned you once before." That seems to surprise Max.

"She did? I was under the impression that she'd hate me."

Did she hate her? I shake my head, "I don't think she does."

"I can't say the same for the rest of your family?"

I can't speak for them, "I don't think they know you exist."

"How are you here? And how did you find me? I was told that your mom ran away and no one had ever seen or heard from you or her."

"She really didn't want our father to find us, so we had to move locations often. She thought he'd come looking for her and ruin his new family. It was her choice, no one made her do it. We kinda settled into the human world finally. But, I came back after she died."

"She died? I'm so sorry for your loss."

She waves my comment away, "It's okay. It been over a decade."

"How did you two survive?"

"We didn't have any surviving relatives so it was hard. But we managed." She shrugs. "If I'm being honest I hated our father when things got really tough."

"Do you still hate him?"

"Nah." She shakes her head. "I think I'm indifferent you know but when I heard that I had half-sibling, I really wanted to meet them."

"We do have a lot to catch up on", I say and she nods, "and you have to tell me what you've been doing all those years."

Alpha Harry clears his throat, "you two have time to discuss about that but right now we have more important stuff to deal with."

Max and I both nod and listen to what he has to say, "For two months now, we've been having cases of mysterious sightings and crimes, we've been keeping it on the low but it's spreading faster and I fear the safety of my pack."

I bite my lips, deep in thought, this could be an entirely different case from the shadows but at the same time it also could be the work of the shadows.

"Have you been able to get a report on what people saw?" Max asks.

"Well—they sound strange but the sightings say that they were beings you couldn't touch." Luna Nina says and for the first time, she has a look of worry on her face. "I thought I'd contact you and have the Oracle help us," she looks at me and slightly bows her head, "I'm sorry for your loss."

"It could be vampires." I suggest immediately.

They all shake their heads, "Right now, vampires are the only option." I say but they look at each other before max finally looks at me.