chapter 4

•••

•••

We come down the stairs and all eyes are on us well–on me considering the fact that I have not attended this event for the past four years and the times I did before leaving for good, I retired early.

I try not to look at anyone in the eye or sweep my gaze across the room. We finally make it down the stairs and Noel holds my hand and squeezes it, giving me assurance.

I smile lightly at his kind gesture and then widen the smile being the perfect hostess that I am.

"Thank you all for coming to attend this celebration with my family and trusting our territory. May this Gala be more successful than the last. We may now move to the ballroom." My father's loud voice says and people orderly move from the waiting room to the ballroom.

We go in last and I openly gape in awe at how beautiful it looked.

"Enjoy yourself honey." Dad says and kisses my cheek while Mom gives me a reassuring smile as they leave to converse with other Alphas and Lunas.

Quinn and Faye are no longer with me–they're probably conversing with the young guest which leaves me alone and awkwardly standing around so I grab a glass of champagne from a passing waiter and walk to the back of the ballroom.

I just look around purposely avoiding everyone's questioning gaze. I make eye contact with a familiar pair of green eyes.

Mason.

The world stops for a fraction because after seven years the attraction is still there. His eyes rake my body before coming back up to my face. He doesn't say anything or move–he just stares but it all vanishes when Alexa comes smiling at him.

I tear my gaze from him to a very pregnant Alexa. I feel my eyes burning and tears threatening to fall but I can't look away and neither can he. Alexa traces his gaze and before she could catch me staring back, I turn the other way and busy myself with nothing.

A shadow looms above me and I look up to see a very cross looking Noel.

"You're not enjoying yourself." He states.

I roll my eyes, "How can I? And besides shouldn't you be with your mate."

"She's catching up with her older sister and her father so I put it upon myself to make you have fun while she is away."

"And how would you do that?"

"By dragging you to socialize and then dancing"

I glance around in fear of talking to these people knowing that they would question me on my whereabouts and why?

Noel seems to sense my hesitance, "Relax I won't leave your side let's dance first." He says pulling me to the dance floor. Quite Literally pulling me causing me to stumble a bit