Chapter 45

I stretch as I wake up. I open my eyes to see that beautiful pair of green eyes staring at me.

"Are you okay?", He asks as he softly caresses my cheek.

His question brings tears to my eyes but they don't fall. He wraps his tiny arms around my neck and buries his head in the crook of my neck, the junction between my neck and shoulder.

"It's going to be okay." He tells me as he pats my back. I release a sound which is a mix of a giggle and a sob.

"I should be the one comforting you right now?" I say after we pull back but he just smiles and shakes his head.

"You cried more."

I look at him and my eyes soften, "don't you feel sad?"

He thinks hard before replying, "she wouldn't want us to cry." he simply says.

When did he get so smart?

I pull him into a hug, "you'll make the perfect alpha and I'm sure grandma Dakota is so proud of you."

"Really?" His face lights up and I nod.

"You're strong, smart, brave and very handsome—who wouldn't be proud of you."

He hugs me again and this time, we stay in each other's arms for a long time. After my moment with Javier, I finally leave him alone and go to the suite. I make my way into Casper's office and sigh at his disheveled figure hunched over his desk.

I rub the bridge of my nose and make my way over to him, "you look so fucking tired."

"I'm fine. No thanks to you." He snaps.

"What do you mean?" I ask calmly, deciding to ignore his tone. I put my hands on his shoulder, about to massage them but he shrugs my hands off.

"If this is about Dakota, I want you to know that we're in this together and you can talk to me."

"Just like the way you've been talking to me?" he hisses and he looks at me.

I can feel his anger through the mate bond but I don't understand what he's angry about, "did I do anything wrong?" I ask.

"Damn right you did."

"I can't remember if I did anything wrong but forgive me for pissing off the almighty alpha Casper." I snap back without realizing.

He stands up and push past me before looking at me, "it's been three days since Dakota died and it's heart wrenching to hear you sob 24/7 but do you know what's worse?—my mate not coming to me during her darkest times, not letting me even see her or help her."

"Casper i didn't mean for it to be that way."

"But it was." he almost screams.

"This is not something to argue about. I'm sorry okay? Today is her funeral and we need to attend and show a unified front."

He doesn't say anything, he just leaves his office and slams the door. I just stay there and try not get angry at him.

I leave his office and go into his room and hear the shower running. I enter the walk in closet and pick out the black dress my grandmother had sent to me yesterday and black flats. I enter the bathroom to see the shower glass fogged with only his silhouette. I go straight away to start brushing my teeth. Mid-way brushing my teeth, Casper leaves the bathroom purposely ignoring me. I also decide to settle for a shower after I finished brushing my teeth. When I was done, I stepped into the walk-in-closet. Casper was already fixing in the cuffs of his suit jacket.

"Look Casper, I'm sorry."

He grunts, "Like you said, it isn't something to argue about so don't worry."