chapter 20

•••

•••

It's four in the morning when I abruptly wake up. I saw Dakota in my dreams telling me to wake up and come immediately. I don't know how she did that.

"Weird." I say to myself and change into my ugliest pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt and washing my face before I go downstairs.

I try not to make some noise since everyone is sure to be asleep. I go to kitchen first and pick an apple to eat on the way. I unlock the door as quietly as I can and start heading towards the cabin. The night should scare me but it doesn't. There's a certain calm that washes over me under the dark sky. It doesn't take long before I reach oracle Dakota's cabin and I can barely make out the shape in the darkness.

"You're here quickly. Figured it would take you another thirty. It always took Adrianna that long." I hear Dakota say somewhere in the dark.

"Where the fuck are you? I came as fast as I could." I whisper as I squint and look around.

"I have a lot to teach you but first your wolf." She says and i sense her presence behind me.

She smiles at me, "I thought you would go back to sleep thinking that it was just a meaningless dream."

"How did you do that?"

"Star anise. Lesson one." She says and start walking away.

I follow her, "what is star anise?"

"It's an ancient herb that is used for good luck, dream psychic, travel charms and clairvoyance."

My eyebrows were pulled together in confusion but I don't say anything. Am i going to learn all that and more?

"Clairvoyance is the ability to perceive things or events in the future or beyond normal sensory contact and if you keep taking it for that reason, your werewolf sense will be improved and in your case, your wolf might be able to come back."

"Oh." I say. I have nothing else to say.

"She's trapped somewhere deep inside you. Poor thing couldn't take the pain any longer. She's not gone, she's in there somewhere." He states and leads both of us deep into the forest. She stops beside a lake in a clearing. She drops her basket and staff before bringing out a bowl and a plant before mixing it with the water.

"Lesson two, always be prepared. Knowledge is nothing without preparation." She tells me before walking over to me with the bowl. She hands it to me. "drink."

I look at the bowl unsure and purse my lips, "Are you sure?"

She simply nods as I close my eyes and pinch my nose, blocking the disgusting smell before hurriedly drinking up the mixture. Surprisingly, it wasn't as bitter as I expected it to be—it was actually a little sweet.

"Why did I take that?" I ask and wipe my lips with the back of my palm and hand the bowl over to her.

She doesn't answer me and washes the bowl in the river before putting it back in her basket. She sits down cross legged beside the bank and nods at the spot in front of her. I sit on the spot and stare at her.