Chapter LXXVIII

Chapter LXXVIII

Ariadne

After our chat in the garden, the guilt that had plagued me lessened considerably. I didn't want Lycus to be angry at me; I cared for him. He was my friend. And knowing that everything he had been through was because of me just made it all worse.

Geratious prepared a filling meal for us around noon after he and I helped Lycus back inside his home. I finished setting the table and bringing over the dishes. Then we all sat down to eat.

I piled my plate with several figs, some honey cakes, and other assorted fruits, wanting to stuff myself on all the things I had been deprived of. Upon taking the first bite out of a ripe fig, I almost sighed. Juices exploded into my mouth, sweet and tangy. It was so good.

Lycus had a similar look of enjoyment on his face, so pure and innocent that I cracked a smile. He looked over at me and cocked his head.

"What?"

I shook my head, trying to wipe the grin off but failing. "Nothing."

After the meal, Geratious and I moved Lycus to the spare bedroom to rest. Once he was seated and comfortable, Geratious left, leaving Lycus and I alone. I stood next to the bed, unsure of what to do. I felt like there was much that needed to be say, but I didn't know how to start.

Shaking my head in frustration, I finally decided to just start. "Lycus," I began, fiddling with my dress. "I just want to say that I'm sorry this has all happened. I'm sorry I got you into all of this and caused you so much pain." I paused to push back the tears that threatened to rise. "And most of all I'm sorry for ever meeting you." I lowered my head and stared at my bare feet. "This mission was for nothing."

At first, Lycus was silent. And for almost two minutes, no one spoke. I almost looked up to see if he had fallen asleep, but then he spoke.