Chapter XXVIII

Chapter XXVIII

Lycus

Blow after blow fell upon my body, causing ample pain and discomfort. The guard thrust his fist into my stomach, causing me to double over as best I could with the other guards holding me, and groan in pain. I wanted it to stop! I didn't deserve this, I'd done nothing wrong!

Too late now. It was Ariadne's fault. I glanced to the side where she was being held steady by a guard, but she looked ready to faint. She probably hadn't seen a beating before, and was waiting in suspense for her turn.

I did my best to concentrate on something other than the pain, but it was hard. It almost caused as much pain to my tired mind as the beating did to my body. I just couldn't win. Then again, I was just a slave and wasn't supposed to win. The thought filled me with bitterness.

The beating went on for another few minutes, or hours, I couldn't really keep track of time, and almost when I thought I couldn't stand it anymore, it stopped. The guards dropped me on the ground, where I lay miserably. One of them dragged me off to the side, and brought Ariadne forward.

I watched as she got her beating. I took some pleasure in seeing the pain in her face, since it was her fault, but I realized how sadistic that was. I would have shaken my head, but I found my muscles were too banged up for such a movement. I moaned again. I wished I would just fall unconscious so I wouldn't feel anything, but that wasn't to be. I lay in pain, hearing Ariadne's cries and moans as she experienced the same pain I'd felt a few minutes earlier.

Finally, her's was done as well, and she lay on the ground, too miserable for words.

"Alright," The guard's harsh voice was like nails on chalkboard to my ears, "enough sitting around and moping, go take care of yourselves."

Not possible, I thought as I was prodded to a standing position. My legs were shaky, but I could stand. Ariadne just lay on the ground, weeping. I didn't blame her. It was still her fault; that accusation that rang in my mind seemed empty now. In another time or place, it could have been my fault. She was a person too.

Despite my aching limbs, I bent down slightly and offered a hand to her.

Well... *clears throat* that was quite graphic. You have GadSul to thank for that ;)

Also, double update! Woohoo!!

Lycus - GadSul