Chapter XXVII

Chapter XXVII

Ariadne

I stared at the ground, my cheek throbbing. A swirl of emotions rushed through me. I didn't know what to say, or even feel. A beating? I... knew what the word was, but I had never experienced such a thing before. Nor had I ever really seen it happen to someone else. Perhaps I had seen it once or twice on some of our slaves, but they had deserved it, hadn't they? I could think of no such thing that I had done to deserve a beating.

I was about to speak out and argue, but I realized that I was stuck. What would I say? I could tell him that I wasn't a slave, but surely he wouldn't believe me. It would just sound like I was pleading.

"Perhaps that will teach you to behave in my household," the master said. I wasn't looking at him--for I'd learned my lesson not to-- but I was sure he was looking at me. For some reason, he seemed bent on laying all the blame for this on me, when I wasn't all to blame. Lycus had started it!

At least he was going to get what he deserved; I took comfort in that. I glanced over at him; he was glaring at me already so when we locked eyes, it was easy to send him my thoughts that I didn't like him so much either.

"Take them away," the master said dismissively, waving his hand.

Just as I looked up, there were guards upon me and Lycus, taking our arms and forcefully pulling us out of the room, even though we were too stunned to try and fight anyway. As they pulled us down the long hallways once again, I found myself becoming increasingly scared. My hands and legs were shaking; my forehead beaded with sweat. I was breathing heavily and felt somewhat dizzy with fear.

We stopped in front of an area of the villa that I hadn't been to yet, and I glanced at Lycus to see if he knew what where we were. His face was ashen and he was rigid.

This area of the hallway was much darker at this time of day, or should I say late evening, and there were only occasional torches to light the way.

One of the guards opened the heavy wooden door while the other two dragged us inside, Lycus first, then me last. This room was even darker than the hallway; there were no windows to let light in or fresh air, resulting in it being extremely dusty and stale in there.
Then another smell hit me. It was tangy and metallic, but not at all pleasant. However, I couldn't quite place what it was until a torch was brought into the room.

There were dark stains covering the clay floor. It was blood. I don't know how I knew, I just did.

I squirmed in the guard's grip, but that only resulted in him tightening his hold on me. I didn't want this. I wanted to leave. I wanted to go home. I wanted to see Mother.

"Alright, who wants to go first?" the third guard said as he set the torch on a hook from the wall. Neither of us answered, but I don't think the guard expected us to.

"Okay, then. Bring one of 'em forward. It doesn't matter who goes first. They both are getting it." The guard withdrew a long rod from his belt and flicked it through the air.

I held my breath, hearing the sound of the rod smacking through the air twice more. Then the guard holding Lycus shoved him forward.

O.O well I'm afraid this is quite a turn of events, now isn't it? I apologize for any anguish we have caused! If you love these characters as much as we do, I suggest not reading any further...

Ariadne - Ithildae