Chapter XIX

Chapter XIX

Ariadne

"I insist."

"I am truly grateful for your help," I smiled at Aristarchus, "But I must go on my own."

He leaned forward and kissed my hand. "Are you sure, my lady?"

"Quite. But you have my gratitude for your generous hospitality. I will be sure to pay you back as soon as I can."

"There is no need. It was my pleasure. I was truly honored to have met you. Ariadne."
Heat crept up my cheeks and I smiled. "Farewell."

With that, I set out from Artistarchus' house, with his direction on how to get to Rome in the shortest amount of time. I walked for some time along the dirt road practically in the middle of nowhere before I took some time to rest.

After that, I continued on with my previous pace. Aristarchus had been kind enough to give me some clean clothes which blended in much better than my previous dress. I still had on my anklet, but should the need arise, I could take it off.

Hours passed and the sun reached its peak and began to lower in the sky. I looked ahead to see for some place to find lodging for the night. I don't know how far I had walked today, but by the way my feet were aching I was sure it was a great distance.

At first, and for a little ways, I didn't see any town or dwelling. The sun was steadily growing lower and I didn't want to have to stay outside for the night. Besides the fact that I would be exposed to the elements, there was also the matter of dangers out here. There were all kinds of wild animals and evil men who wouldn't hesitate to do me harm.

I let out a breath when up ahead I spotted lights. With new hope, I hurried my pace, withdrawing a small pouch of coins that Aristarchus had given to me. I clutched it in my right and held up the hem of my dress with my other hand.

When I reached the town, I searched for a pandocheío to stay overnight, and eventually spotted one not too far ahead.

I stepped inside the building, being met with a loud and chaotic scene. Men were gathered about many tables drinking, and being quite boisterous. However, as soon as I walked in, it all quieted down and their eyes turned to me.
I swallowed and walked past the many tables to the front counter where the master of the inn was.

"What's a lady like you doing here at this hour?" He asked, crossing his arms.

"I--I request a room for the night," I stuttered.
"A room? Do you have payment?"

I unstrung the pouch with shaking hands and withdrew several coins. The innkeeper took them in his grubby hands and nodded. "This way, Miss." Then he led me upstairs to my room.

Sorry for the late update! Life has been busy recently :)

Ariadne - Ithildae