Chapter LVIII

Chapter LVIII

Ariadne

I stood in front of the emperor, my hands chained, and held my head high. Even as the shouts and leers surrounded me from the court, I remained like a stone. I wouldn't bow to them, for my mother.

The emperor stared down at me from his throne, wicked amusement in his eyes. "I have been told that you were in hiding because of the Persians. Is that true?" He asked, raising a perfectly groomed eyebrow.

Fear twisted around my heart, squeezing out my strength. I drew in a breath, debating one whether or not I should answer. I kept my gaze steady on the emperor, not wanting to see the taunting faces.

The emperor tilted his head forward, and seconds later guards had grabbed onto my arms. They pushed me to my knees, keeping my head down.

"Answer, Princess. It is in your best interest to do so," Caesar said.

"I do not answer to dogs," I spit out, barely keeping my body from trembling. On the inside, I was shaking.

A gasp resounded around the room. One of the soldier's pushed me to the floor. I threw out my hands to brace myself, and landed awkwardly on the marble floor. One of the soldiers pressed his booted foot against my back, keeping me on the ground. I bit my lip to keep from crying.

"Get her up," Caesar ordered. I was hauled to my feet once again. "And bring out the slave. Perhaps he can convince her to talk."

At his words, I trembled. Lycus... no. They couldn't, although if they brought him out then at least that would mean he was alive.

Several soldiers exited the room, and I held my breath. My legs trembled so much that the soldiers had to hold me up. They gripped my arms so tightly I was sure they would leave bruises behind.

A faint sound slowly became audible as whoever it was neared. I sucked in a breath as I realized what the noise was. Moaning. The moans of someone in horrible pain.

Tears pricked at my eyes, and I blinked them back as two soldiers dragged a bloody and completely limp figure in between them.

Lycus.

Wow... poor babies. GadSul we really did a number on them, eh? I feel slightly bad now. :/

Ariadne - Ithildae