Chapter XLVIII

Chapter XLVIII

Ariadne

The inside of the small home was even less furnished than Vania's home. All that filled the room were two small mats and a broken table with a clay bowl and cup on top of it. The woman, Lydia, gestured to the mats, and I hesitantly took a seat on one. I guess it was my royal heritage coming out, but I didn't want to dirty such a new dress, simple though it was.

Lydia settled herself against one of the cracked walls, an amused expression on her face as she looked us over. She caught my gaze, her deep set eyes unnerving me for some reason.

"So, Vania sent you, eh?" Lydia asked, crossing her arms.

"Yes. She said you could help us."

Lydia nodded thoughtfully. "Indeed. I have some experience in these... matters. But what I want to know is one thing first. Are your names Lycus and Ariadne?"

I swallowed and cast Lycus an uneasy glance. How did she already know our names?

Lycus pursed his lips as he decided on whether or not to answer. I held my breath, not understanding this woman's intentions. I hoped Lycus would know what to do, because I certainly didn't.

"Yes," Lycus answered finally. "How did you know?" He locked eyes with Lydia, his stern eyes determined.

"You're fugitives, obviously." Lydia shrugged. "But what I find unique is how you became fugitives. At least according to the story, you're tale is one of betrayal, and... love."

I gasped, my eyes widening. "What--"

"Of course, now that I see you both, I don't think they have it quite right," Lydia continued, not taking notice of my interruption.

"Love? What in the world do you mean?" Lycus asked, sounding just as confused as I was.

"The cursus publicus. He told everyone your story," Lydia said, her face tinted in an amused expression.

"And what story is that?" Lycus growled, clearly growing fed up with this woman.

"That you aided a fugitive princess, fell in love with her, and are a traitor to Rome."

O.O wowza that is quite the cliffhanger! Don't forget to vote and comment!

Ariadne - Ithildae