Chapter LXVIII

Chapter LXVIII

Ariadne

I hunched over Lycus' unconscious form, wishing I could trade places with him. I had done it again. Why couldn't I ever learn?

The hairy soldier shifted nearby, reminding me of his presence. I kept my eyes lowered in the fear that he would continue his superior's task. Perhaps if I only learned to be quiet and humble even in such times I wouldn't bring such horrors upon myself and Lycus. I had to work on that.

The soldier cleared his throat, but I kept my gaze lowered. He took a step forward, then I heard him retreat towards the door. The door clicked shut behind him, leaving Lycus and I alone once again.

I brushed my hands through Lycus' dirty and matted hair, wishing I could take his pain away. A single tear slipped down my cheeks and landed on his dirty chest, followed by another soon after. I let them fall, crying silently.

Hours later I was still in the same position with Lycus still asleep. At some point I had wondered if he was alive at all, but I noticed the rise and fall of his chest which gave me some comfort.

I gazed over all the cuts and bruises littering Lycus' face, arms, and chest. Then my eyes found his leg again. Just around the knee it had turned multiple colors, mottled around the lump that twisted his leg in an unnatural way. It was red, puffy, and looked like anything but a leg. I ran my hand over the damaged leg lightly, feeling how swollen it was.

A small groan slipped past Lycus' lips, and I pulled my hand away in worry that I had hurt him. He shifted, his face turning into a grimace. His eyes cracked open, swirling with pain. He watched me, not speaking, for several minutes. I didn't know what to say. It was clear that he wasn't about to forgive me for my mistake, and I didn't blame him. I deserved the hatred I could see in his eyes. I felt that same anger for myself.

Aww this is a depressing chapter... sorry about that! We promise it's gonna get better!

Ariadne - Ithildae