nineteen

The next morning, Nolan, tired and anxious after the last night, walked into the school library

The next morning, Nolan, tired and anxious after the last night, walked into the school library. The rest of the students looked at him and began whispering amongst each other. Nolan was uncomfortable. When a teenage boy walked out of one of the aisles and saw Nolan, he became panicked and walked in the opposite direction from him. Nolan stood awkwardly in front of a shelf of books.

"Doesn't feel good, does it?" Liam questioned.

Kim was standing by his side.

"You may not know exactly how it feels, but I think you get the gist," Kim said.

"But you're a hunter too. I don't understand - "

"Because I chose this side, Nolan," Kim said. "I betrayed humankind," she sarcastically said.

Nolan, Kim, and Liam arrived at the hospital. Nolan pointed out that a couple of the nurses were part of the hunter army and picked up weapons at the armory during Monroe's speech. He led Liam and Kim up to the intensive care unit where three people were unconscious on beds. Each was attached to a bag delivering purple wolfsbane intravenously.

Liam called Mason, who warned him not to pull out the wolfsbane I.Vs. Brett, Zia, Corey, and Mason were on the way.

They just arrived at the hospital, where they walked purposefully into the E.R. reception area. Unfortunately for them, they were spotted by the blonde nurse and a male orderly from Monroe's Army, who recognized them as Scott's pack - or helpers of Scott.

"You see that?" Corey asked.

Mason nodded. "I see it."

"What is this?" Corey asked.

"I think us coming here was planned..."

They turned down a hallway, while everyone behind them stopped what they were doing and stared at them.

"Well, I want to be alive to find out," Brett whispered.

Several hunters rushed into the hospital, all armed with several variations of firearms. At a loss for options, Mason and Corey ran into a nearby empty patient room and hid near the door to the bathroom. Brett and Zia hid in the room across from them.

"I think I just realized something," Mason whispered.

Corey nodded. "Me, too. We're bait."

Liam was upstairs, pacing around in the intensive care unit. Kim had her arms crossed over her chest. Liam looked out the small glass window in the door to make sure no one was near. The electricity to the building suddenly shut off, forcing the hospital to rely on its emergency generators to keep the bare minimum number of lights on. Liam's eyes glowed bright gold as he prepared himself for a fight. Kim sighed, branding a handheld gun.

"Let's get 'em, babe," she said.

Back downstairs, Zia jolted in Brett's arm, startled by the sudden lack of light. He rubbed her arm, kissing the top of her head.

"Hey, it's okay," he whispered.

She looked up, noticing that his eyes were yellow. They hadn't been that color since the death of Lorilee. She knew that he was ready to fight.