seventeen

Mason led Theo and Zia down to the underground tunnels

Mason led Theo and Zia down to the underground tunnels. Mason was holding a partially melted baseball bat.

"That's a pretty egotistical thing to say, don't you think? You'd never be able to find Aaron on your own. You're not smart enough," Mason repeated.

Theo was not at all amused at Mason casting aspersions on his intelligence. "So, if you found him, what were you gonna do? Beat him up with your AP Calculus book?" Theo questioned.

Mason held up the baseball bat. "I can be resourceful."

Theo rolled his eyes before smacking the bat out of Mason's hands. The bat fell to the ground with a clanging sound as Mason looked at Theo.

"Was that necessary?" Mason asked.

Instead of waiting for an answer, Mason walked past Theo so he could pick up the bat before the three made their way down the tunnel.

"Besides, Zia is pretty scary. Right, Zia?" Mason asked hopefully.

She stared at him with big eyes. "I don't know. Maybe to humans."

"Okay, so you're obviously the smart one," Theo muttered to Mason. Why are we down here? Shouldn't we be looking around the school, or somewhere with better lighting?"

Mason scoffed. "Aaron hasn't been in class in days. The last sighting of the Faceless was in the tunnels. Parrish burned the body, but, you know, none of us have ever been back down here to check."

"Why not?" Theo asked.

"Isn't it always good to double check?" Zia asked.

Mason stopped walking, indicating that a wave of fear just now reached him as he anxiously gripped the bat in his hands.

"Because we're scared. We're all scared to come back down here. You feel it, right? It's like it doesn't want us here."

Theo sighed. "That makes two of us."

"All I have to do is outrun you two," Zia said.

"I swear, you're rubbing off on her," Mason exasperated.

"We met, like, three days ago!" Theo exclaimed.

Mason continued walking forward. Theo sighed and composed himself before following after him, beckoning Zia to do the same. They walked in silence until they encountered a fork in the tunnels.