three

"It's a prophecy," Zia said

"It's a prophecy," Zia said. "That one of my mother's daughters would set foot upon a town called Beacon Hills and save it from damnation. One of us would become a leader and protect a pod. But we thought of it as a bedtime story. We're mermaids. We don't get feet. None of it made sense. I have four other sisters. Three older and one younger. The man that I killed - he caught me in a fishnet out at sea. He brought me here for some reason. I think it was because this was the closest town. He grabbed a knife and tried to skin me. I did what merpeople do best." Zia gulped. "I attacked him and ate him."

"Mermaids eat people?" Scott questioned.

"Merpeople, yes. We lure people and eat them to survive. We don't eat live creatures that live in the ocean, only plants, but plants aren't enough for our growing pod."

"I think the rest of my pack is your pod, Zia. Satomi is dead and we need a leader. You're that leader," Brett said. "Can't you feel it?"

She slowly nodded. "I barely feel it, but I trust you. I mean, I have feet. I'll believe anything at this point."

"I can't have you killing people in Beacon Hills and eating them, Zia," Scott said.

Zia pursed her lips. "There's another way for merpeople to survive."

"What's that?"

"Having what you humans call sex." She was staring at Brett. "But I already ate that man. I probably won't be hungry until the sixth night after tonight."

"So, Monday night?" Scott asked.

"What's Monday?"

"Oh - no."

She looked at Scott and Brett with a confused expression. She wiggled her toes and played with the hem of Brett's shirt. She suddenly looked up.

"Can you feel that?" Zia whispered.

"Feel what?" Brett asked.

"The fear in the air. Something is coming and there will be blood."