five

Zia stuck close to Brett and Lorilee at school

Zia stuck close to Brett and Lorilee at school. Brett was like the king at Devenford Prep. He was attractive and the best lacrosse player at their school.

Lorilee was a year younger than Zia and Brett, so she walked a separate way from them in the morning. That only left Zia and Brett.

"Why is everyone watching me?" Zia asked.

Brett looked down into her curious eyes before slinging an arm around her shoulders. "Babygirl, they're looking at me. Besides, you're the new girl. Everyone is going to notice you. Try not to steal my spotlight."

Zia huffed and rolled her eyes. "I don't want to be under the spotlight. I never even wanted to come to Beacon Hills in the first place. I'm sorry your alpha died and that your old pack doesn't have a leader anymore, but I'm not a werewolf."

"You don't need to be a werewolf to become a leader," he whispered. "All you need is for willing people to follow you."

"Who would be willing to follow a mermaid that eats humans?" she retorted. "I wouldn't follow a human that eats mermaids."

"You don't need to eat humans though, right? You can just have sex. It's very fun. Trust me," Brett said as he winked to a girl in the hallway.

"Who am I going to have sex with?"

Brett gestured gently around the hallway with his free hand. "You see all of them? They're called teenagers. Boys are the most hormonal in this stage. Grab one and go."

"I might as well just eat them," Zia muttered bitterly.

"Okay, Zia, in the human world, we do not tolerate cannibalism," Brett gently explained as if she was a child.

"What's cannibalism?"

"Oh - dear God."