nine

Zia and Lorilee walked into the parking lot, expecting Brett to be waiting for them

Zia and Lorilee walked into the parking lot, expecting Brett to be waiting for them. Instead, Brett was gone. In his place were black blood and the lacrosse ball with Liam's claw marks on them.

Lorilee sniffed the air. "I smell wolfsbane."

Zia scrunched up her nose. "I don't know what that is."

"It's a poison to werewolves."

The two walked over to Brett's car, inspecting it. They also inspected the ball and the sharp lacrosse stick on the floor.

"Brett's in danger." Lorilee was panicking. "Oh - God, he could be dead right now. I - I - what do we do, Zia? He's the only family member I have left!"

Zia grabbed her shoulders. "Calm down, okay? Um - find Liam, Kim, and Mason. Just - find anyone, okay? Someone. I'm going to find Brett."

"You don't have a phone! You can't even howl if you're in danger!" Lorilee shouted, gnawing at her lip.

"It's okay," Zia whispered. "Smell me. Remember my scent, okay? Here - " Zia took off the jacket she was wearing. She was borrowing it from Lorilee, but her own scent was still there. "Some of my scent should be there. Give it to Liam too, okay? I'll be back. Don't worry."

Zia turned away and began walking out of the parking lot. She looked over her shoulder and smiled at Lorilee. Lorilee didn't want her to go. She was terrified for Zia, Brett, and herself.

"I'll be fine. The next time you see me, I'll be with Brett," Zia said. "Now go find Liam."

Lorilee ran away to find Liam. Zia ran all over town, looking for Brett. Everywhere she went, people were looking at her with different emotions - disgust or confusion. But the emotion that stood out to her the most was fear.