Chapter 18

Drake

"Nicki?" I called out, walking toward her table. "Is that you?"

She looked around, trying to find the person who had called her name. It didn't take long for her to realize that it was me. Her eyes widened in surprise. She looked worried.

"Oh, uhm, hey Drake," she stammered. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, I took Niyah out," I said, finally reaching her table. SB glared at me, and I didn't hesitate to glare back. Ain't nobody intimidated by his ass.

"What about you?" I asked, turning my attention back to Nicki.

"Oh, um, we were just leaving, weren't we, SB?" she asked through gritted teeth, except it really didn't seem like a question. It was a more of a "nigga you betta say 'right' or Imma fuck yo ass up".

He raised his eyebrow at Nicki. "But baby, we haven't even eaten y -- "

"RIGHT, SB?" she repeated more sternly.

Safaree seemed to take the hint this time and nodded, obviously concerned. "Uh, yeah, yeah, right," he said with uncertainty.

I knew that Nicki was lying to get out of talking to me, and it hurt. I didn't even know what I had done. God. Females.

"Uhm, I'll talk to you later, Drake," Nicki whispered, grabbing her purse and slinging it over her shoulder.

She'll talk to me later?

I knew bullshit when I heard it.

"Ok," I said, obviously sarcastically, but Nicki pretended not to notice. She just walked on out the door, SB trailing behind her.

I stood there for a couple seconds more, trying to analyze what had just happened. What was up with Nicki, and why the hell was she treating me like this? To say I was confused would be an understatement.

Something was seriously out of place, and I was seriously determined to get to the bottom of it. I couldn't lose my best friend. Not now.

Nicki

"What the fucking hell was that, Nicki?" SB yelled.

"SB, I know you're confused, but -- "

"You're damn right I'm confused. You better tell me what the fuck is going on," he demanded. I could tell by the tone of his voice that he wasn't fucking around.

"Listen, I can't tell you, ok?" I said, my arms crossed over my chest. "Just know that I have it under control and it'll all be back to normal eventually. I got this, SB. Fucking trust me."

"What is that supposed to mean?" SB asked.

"It means stay out of it," I growled. I wasn't intentionally trying to make him madder than he already was, I really wasn't. Everything just started pouring out of my mouth, it was like I couldn't stop it. I wanted to hold my tongue, but I couldn't.

He glared at me, surely wanting to call me every bad name in the book, but he stopped himself. He made a promise that he would change, and he was doing so good. He didn't wanna ruin it all.

"Whatever, Nicki."

The rest of the ride home was ridiculously quiet, but I didn't mind. I kinda just wanted to get back to my fantasies. I never got to finish them.

Now. Where was I?

I took a second and realized; this was what I had been missing for the longest time in my life. There was nothing -- nothing that could ruin this moment.