Chapter 15

Nicki

Before I went to talk to Niyah, we found Drake a place to stay for the night. We called up one of his friends, Montana, and he gladly took Drake in for a while. Then I got SB to drive me to Drake and Niyah's apartment. I told him to stay in the car, and he did.

When I climbed the three flights of stairs up to their apartment, I knocked. She answered right away -- it kinda seemed like she was waiting for someone to knock. Maybe Drake? Hmph, probably.

When she saw me standing out there, she quickly pulled me into the apartment. I could see that she was still in her g-string. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that might be. Her makeup was running down her cheeks, and her eyes were puffy. It was kinda obvious she'd been crying. I didn't blame her. I can't even count how many times I'd been in her shoes. That shit hurt.

I took her in an embrace, which she didn't reject. She sniffled.

"Nicki, I don't even know what to say. It -- it just hurts so fucking bad."

I lead her over to the couch and we both sat down.

"Oh, baby girl," I said, "I know."

"Why would he do that? Never in my life would I think he would cheat, ever."

I sighed. "Niyah, I have been friends with Drake since forever, and I'll tell you this; I know when he's lying. See, when he's lying, this nigga stutters like there's no tomorrow, and his pupils get bigger, and when he was telling me what had happened, he didn't do any of those things. And you know what? I believe him, because Drake loves you too much to cheat on you." I felt more like I was a mother talking to her child, instead of a girl talking to her best friend. It felt weird, and I wondered if she thought it felt weird, too. I didn't want it to seem like I was talking down to her, which I sure as hell wasn't. I know just as much as she knows, maybe less, for that matter.

"But, I saw him with that girl... And he kissed her, a-and he felt up on her..." she argued.

"I know, and he did admit to that. He said he was 'caught up in the moment'. But you shoulda seen how he was looking at you when you was up on that stage. He was kinda jealous. He said he didn't like all the attention you were getting."

Her head hung low, and I could tell she was starting to put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

"So, what you're saying is, is that maybe Drake did that because he felt that I was doing something wrong, and he sorta wanted to get back at me for it?"

"Yeah."

She sighed. "Well," she shrugged, "I guess I might've done the same thing... I kinda understand why he did that now. I know it was wrong of me to do that, to show off my body to other men, but I was thinking of all the money that we would get, and to be honest, I thought it would be kinda fun. Drake wasn't very happy when I asked him if I could do it... I shoulda just said no, and none of this would've happened. God..."

She buried her head in my shoulder, wetting my skin as she cried. I rubbed her back, and stroked her hair.

"But you know Drake loves you, right?" I said.

She picked her head up and nodded. "Yeah."

"And you know he would do anything for you, right?"

"Yeah."

"Ok then," I said, getting up off the couch.

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Where are you going?"

"Home. Feel free to text me whenever you want. It'll all be ok, Niyah," I said, bending over to give her a hug.

She thanked me for coming a couple times, saying that I made her feel a whole lot better and she'd definitely talk to Drake later, but for some reason, I felt... Sad. I don't know why. It was like I didn't want them to get back together, which was absolutely ridiculous. I'd just convinced Niyah to give Drake another chance, for God's sake, which was what I wanted...