Chapter 25

Two weeks later...

Nicki

It's been two weeks since Drake and Niyah officially broke up and I can honestly say that Drake has never been worse. All he does is sit in the living room with the TV on, as he stuffs his face with whatever he can find in the kitchen. He's stopped going to work. I'm pretty sure he's fired now. He only showers twice a week, and I have to remind him constantly to change out of his pajamas into real clothes. He barely ever talks, and when he does, it's usually either "Yes", "No", or "Please leave me alone". I think he's even started writing poetry. I found a piece of notebook paper, titled "Letters I Never Sent #4". It said as follows:

Tell me you've had trouble sleeping. That you toss and turn from side to side. That it's my face you've been seeing in your dreams at night. Tell me that you wake up crying, and you're not sure exactly why. Tell me that there's something missing in your life. Tell me it's not just me.

- (a.d.g.)

I read his little entry about 18 times, just because it was so pretty and because I couldn't stop admiring the way he had with words. It was then that I realized that this little funk he was going through was all too familiar for me. I remembered what it was like for me a few months ago, and realized we're going through almost the same feelings and shit. I remembered how alone and isolated I felt, and how all I wanted was to be wanted again.
I figured out that, no matter what, I had to get Drake out of this vicious cycle of waking up, watching basketball, eating, and sleeping. Trust me, if he continued living his life like he had been for the past few weeks, he'd go crazy. Literally.
So, I figured that the first step in de-funking Drake was to get him out of the house.
I took a shower, brushed my teeth, and put on jeans and a black t-shirt that I got from the Beyonce website. It said #BeyGood in white letters. To match I put on black sandels. Then I pulled my hair into a long, straight ponytail. I added a little makup, and then I retreated into Drake's room to pick out some clothes for him.
I ended up choosing a black and white Polo shirt and some dark blue jeans with some rips above the knee. Then I grabbed his white Nike Air Force 1s and some socks that I thought he would wear. I ran back downstairs to the living room, where, of course, Drake was. He was busy stuffing his face with potato chips. He didn't even look up when he noticed I was standing right in front of him, holding out the clothes I had previously picked out for him.
"What, Nic?" he almost whined.
I crossed my arms over my chest and tossed the clothes at him. "We're going somewhere," I said. "Now put those on and brush your teeth. And take a shower."
He groaned. "Nicki, no. I don't want to go anywhere today. I just wanna stay here and eat."
I rolled my eyes. "Drake, that's all yo lazy ass has been doing since Niyah broke up with you, and frankly, I've had enough. We are getting you out of this house, whether you like it or not, and we're gonna have some fun to get your mind off of this breakup with Niyah. Now, hurry up and get ready or you're going out in public like that."
He sighed in frustration. I could tell he would rather slit his own throat than get out of the house, but he had to know that I was just doing what was best for him. I mean, for God's sake, he was my best friend! What kind of person would I be if I just let his ass sit around and rot away to nothing?
"Let's go, Drake! I'll give you until 3:30 to get yourself put together. That's an hour and a half, which is way more time than you need. Now, let me warn you, if I come back into this room in five minutes, and you're still on ya ass doing nothing, you betta believe you gone catch these hands. I'm not playing with you, Drake. Up and at 'em!"
I grabbed the bag of potato chips from him and turned off the TV. He glared at me from underneath his glasses.
"Nicki, don't you get it? I don't want to get out of the house. I don't want to go anywhere. I just want to sit here and sulk. Can you please respect that?" he asked.
"No, I can't," I said. "You know why? Because I was in the same exact position that you're in right now a couple months ago, and I can't let you go through everything I went through. It sucked, and I can't watch my best friend go through the same thing. Ok?"
I didn't wait for him to say "ok" back before I repeated what I wanted him to do, and what was going to happen if he didn't get moving.
"Remember Drake, 3:30!" I called over my shoulder as I walked out of the living room.