Chapter 2

Nicki

Just as I predicted, SB got home around 2:00 in the morning. He bursted through the door and stumbled into the apartment. He brought the smell of liquor with him.

"Hey baby," he slurred. "What are you doing up so late?"

"Um, I was waiting for you to get home so we could talk," I said nervously. I knew he wasn't going to take this very well.

He wobbled over to me and sat in the exact same spot Drake did when he was over earlier.

"Talk 'bout what?"

I gulped. "Erm, today, at work, my boss called me into his office and, um, fired me..." I said slowly, so he could process the information. He jumped up off the couch.

"What?" he asked.

"Safaree, I got fired from my job at Red Lobster."

He raised his hand to me and slapped me across the face. Hard.

I rubbed the red handmark on my cheek and tried to keep from crying. This was the first time he had ever layed a hand on me. It stung.

"WHAT THE FUCK, SB?" I scream.

"YOU FUCKIN' DESERVED THAT SLAP, AND YOU KNOW IT ONIKA!" he yelled back.

"FOR GETTING FIRED AT A JOB I'M NOT EVEN GOOD AT?!"

"YES. THAT'S WHERE ALL OF OUR MONEY COMES FROM," he retorted.

"Well what about YOU? You're supposed to be working too!"

"Onika, we've already FUCKIN' went over this. I don't get paid near as much as your sorry ass does!"

"WELL WHERE THE FUCK DOES ALL THE MONEY YOU DO GET PAID WITH GO?"

Silence.

"Yeah, that's what I thought," I said calmly.

He walked off into our room and came out with a small suitcase. He was making his way to the front door.

"Where... Where are you going SB?" I ask in a quivering voice.

"I'M FUCKING LEAVING, Onika! I'm tired of you and your sorry ass talking back to me like that!"

"Wha -- You can't leave! You're drunk!" I cry.

"I'll take my fuckin' chances," he says coldly.

I run over to him and pull on his arm. "NO, SB, YOU CAN'T GO, PLEASE!" I was bawling now.

"I CAN'T TAKE YOU AND YOUR SHIT ANYMORE NIKA!" he says, and yanks his arm away from my grasp.

"SB GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE! YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME HERE ALONE! I'M SORRY SB! I'LL GET A NEW JOB! JUST PLEASE PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!"

He rolled his eyes and walked through the front door and slammed it behind him. I fell to the floor and sobbed. I knew he'd come back; he's done this many times before. But I couldn't stop crying once I started.