Chapter 25

ANDY’S POV

            Angrily I stormed down the stairs, clenching my jaw shut, so I wouldn’t disturb Heather. As soon as I got outside and onto the patio, I slammed to door shut behind me, causing the doorframe to shake a bit. “Fuck!” I shouted to myself though my teeth. Roughly I clawed my hand through my short, messy hair and began to pace back and forth. How could I have been so blind!? I thought to myself, as I lit a cigarette. I can’t believe that bastard had the nerve to cheat on heather TWICE! I tried to calm down, by taking a breath of smoke, but it wouldn’t work. I was furious. Not just at Ashley, who I hated more than anything at the moment, but also at myself. I’d always promised Heather that I would protect her, yet obviously I wasn’t doing a good job. I’d allowed her to get her heart broken by my best friend twice. I’d lost sight of the person that really mattered to me, just so I could go off and be in a band. I really was selfish. The worst part of it was that in the back of my mind… I found myself feeling anger towards Heather. She’d hidden it from me for so long. What happened to us telling each other everything? Then again… I thought, looking down at my arm, which now held light, healing scars. I held a secret from her too…

            I blew a ring of smoke and stopped. “Jake was right...” I admitted to myself. “I really am just angry.” I threw my cigarette onto the patio. Maybe that’s why Heather didn’t want to tell me. Suddenly I remembered what she’d told me. I clenched my teeth and squeezed my fists, holding back tears. She thought I’d be mad at her… Is it really all my fault? Maybe if I hadn’t been so protective of her, when she was younger, she would have told me about her and Ashley. I could have gotten rid of Ashley for good, after he cheated on her. After all, there were plenty of bass players in California. If we couldn’t find one, I could have played bass.

            My thoughts were interrupted by the light sound of our doorbell. I stomped on my cigarette, before walking inside. I took a deep breath, to clam myself down and opened the door. Bitterness sank into me, when I saw Ashley standing outside my door.

            “Andy I-“

            “Get. Out.” I ordered coldly.

            “But…”

            “I said leave!” I forcefully slammed the door, but Ashley stuck his foot out and stopped it. I saw him wince, as the door made contact with his foot. Even through his boots, the door hit him hard. I couldn’t help but feel a little pleasure in it. Serves you right for what you did to Heather.

            He took a deep breath, forcing away his pain and looked at me, still with his foot in the door. “Andy.” He begged. “Please listen to me.”

            Without a word I opened the door and allowed him in. I didn’t know why I did. Maybe because I wanted to believe that my best friend wasn’t a total dick. Or maybe because I just wanted one person, other than me, for Heather to trust. I closed the door behind him, as he slightly limped into the living room. I crossed my arms, over my chest and glared at him. “What excuse are you going to use this time?” I asked bitterly. “It better be the truth, because I’ve heard all of your excuses on other girls.”

            I could see my words hurt him a lot, but I wasn’t sure why. He’d always seemed proud of his ability to lie and sleep with multiple women. As far as I was concerned, Heather was just another bimbo to him… the thought of that made me sick. “I know what you think you saw…” He began anxiously. “I know it looked bad, but I swear it wasn’t what it looked like.” He promised.

            I raise my eyebrow. “So Heather and I didn’t catch you with your tongue down another girl’s throat?” I asked judgmentally.

            “It wasn’t like that.” He said defensively. “She was just some fan girl that asked me to sign some shit. After I signed her arm and a CD, she… I dunno pounced. Before I knew it, her tongue was in my mouth and she was going crazy.”

            “And I’m sure the great Ashley was too weak to push off a fucking fan girl.” I remarked. Although I was fighting him back, part of me really did want to believe what he was saying. But every time I tried, I remembered how horrible he made Heather feel and that he had done it before.

            He clasped his hands together with a pleading look in his eyes. “I swear to god I did. But by the time I pushed her off, you and Heather were already running away. I tried to tell you. I really did. But you wouldn’t listen to me.” He spat out the last part as if to blame me. Although I hated that, I could see the sincerity in his eyes and I could hear the honesty in his voice. But I’d fallen for his tricks before. “I really do love Heather, Andy.” He told me, as if reading my mind.

            “Just like you ‘loved’ her the first time you two went out?”

            His cheeks blushed in embarrassment and he dropped his head. “She told you about that?” He mumbled, looking up at me. I just nodded, keeping a strong gaze. “I fucked up back then. I’ll admit it. I screwed up big time and Heather had no reason to take me back. But I didn’t do anything this time. It’s just a misunderstanding.” He tried persuading me.

            I shook my head and shrugged my shoulders. “I just don’t know what to do.” I sighed honestly.

            “I think we should believe him.” A quiet voice mumbled. Started, we turned our heads and saw Heather leaning on the wall, on the stairs. How long has she been there?

            Steadily she stepped down the stairs with a compassionate look on her thin face. “Heather I’m so sorry.” Ashley said sadly.

            “I know.” She replied, with a slight smile on her face. “I heard what you said… about the girl.” She took a deep breath and walked over to us. I was a little protective as she delicately walked over to Ashley, but I didn’t stop her.

            Ashley took her small hand in his and smiled down at her. “I love you Heather.” He said softly.

            She rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes. “I love you too.” She whispered peacefully. Heather turned her head, so she was looking at me. I could see that she really did love him and as strange as it sounds… he really did love her. “Andy… I know that Ashley did a bad thing once, but… I don’t think that he’s lying about the other girl.” She said shakily, as if afraid that I wouldn’t approve.

            “I know.” I said calmly, while sending Ashley a mental note ‘You better not be.’ As soon as the words left my mouth, heather smiled a smile that I never thought that I’d see her have again. And honestly, it was one of the best moments of my life.

            Heather tuned back around and got on her tiptoes. She stretched up and Ashley kissed her softly on the lips. And as soon as they finished… Heather collapsed onto the floor…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hehe suspence ;) I hope you guys liked this chapter and as always thnx for reading <3

comment/ vote/ fan