Chapter 13

ANDY’S POV

            I clenched my teeth and slammed the door behind me. Words couldn’t possibly describe my hatred for the nurse I’d just talked to. I had to use all of my self-control not to punch her in the face. Not only was she completely rude to my friends and me, but she actually referred to Heather an ‘emo freak’. Emo freak! Seriously!? Not only is that just plain out horrid and ignorant to say, but to her own patient! A little girl who’s clinging to life! I never knew that it was possible to be just THAT heartless! How has Heather been living here?

            I stormed over to Heather, who was asleep on Ashley’s lap and picked her up bridal style and held her tight. “Andy what’s going on?” Ashley asked, obviously concerned about Heather.

            “Jake get Heather’s bags.” I ordered, ignoring his question. “Ashley go bring the car around.” I swung Heather around, so she was on my back and put my arms under her legs. Jake grabbed Heather’s bags, but Ashley wouldn’t move. “Ashley go get the car!” I barked again.

            He grabbed his keys and held them tightly in his hand. “I’m not doing anything until you tell me what’s going on.” He demanded.

            I tightened my grip on Heather, carful not to let her fall. “We’re taking her back with us. She can’t stay here.” Shocked looks grew on their faces as soon as they heard my news.

            “What? Andy where will she stay?” Jake questioned.

            Honestly, I hadn’t thought that part through. All I knew was that she couldn’t stay at that hospital anymore. Not if the doctors were going to treat her like a freak. “I don’t know. We’ll figure it out.” I decided.

            Ashley rubbed the back of his neck and began to panic as I began to turn the knob. He grabbed my arm, so I couldn’t open the door. “Andy why are you doing this?” He asked in as calm a voice he could.

            I looked into his eyes that were filled with pure terror. “She can’t stay here Ashley. They treat her like a freak, and I hate it! She can’t live in a place that treats her like garbage.” I replied frantically. I felt tears begin to fill my eyes, but I didn’t care. All I cared about was getting Heather out of there.

            Ashley let go of my arm and took a deep breath. “Okay.” I opened the door and we left the room. Ashley sped ahead, so he could get the car, but Jake and I weren’t far behind him. Every so often I would turn my head, just to make sure Heather was still safe. You’re not the freak Heather… these people are. As we passed a group of nurses, I had to restrain myself from beating the fuck out of them. They were all staring at us in a way I knew too well. Disgust. How long has she had to deal with this?

            I gently placed her in the back seat and sat down next to her. Jake got into the passenger seat, but wouldn’t take his eyes off of Heather. Ashley was driving, but I could see in the rear view mirror that he was close to tears. “Do you know how long she’s had to deal with them?” He mumbled, with anger in his voice. I just shook my head and looked back at Heather. Ashley tightened his grip on the wheel and clenched his jaw, but didn’t ask any more questions.

            When we got back to the hotel I instantly brought Heather to the spare room and rested her down on the bed. I bent down, to kiss her forehead lightly. “It’ll get better.” I promised. “The Black Veil Brides wont let anyone treat you like that again.” I fixed her hair and turned off the lights.

            I closed the door behind me, and as soon as I turned I was met by a frantic C.C. “ Okay um… Why is Heather here?” He questioned with a confused look on his face.

            I sighed and walked into the living room area. “She couldn’t stay there, C.C. They were terrible to her.” I responded as I plopped down on the couch. Ashley was in the chair across from me, nervously messing with his boot and Jake was explaining what happened to Jinxx. Gretchen was asleep in C.C.’s room, but I knew C.C.’d explain to her what was going on to her, so I wasn’t too worried about her.

He sat down next to me and rested his arms on his knees. “I get it. But this is legal right? I mean, you didn’t just kidnap her, did you?” He asked shakily.

            I laughed a bit and leaned back. “No, we didn’t kidnap her. Seeing as how I’m her family and she’s over 18, there wasn’t much of a problem with me taking her. Plus I got the feeling that they didn’t mind getting rid of her.” I sighed. “We have to take her back a few times next week, so she can get her chemotherapy and other stuff though.”

            Ashley looked up and raised his hand. “I’ll take her Andy.” He volunteered.

             “We’ll all take her.” Jinxx said kindly. “She could use our support.”

            I nodded and stood up. “Thank you.” I said with a tired smile. “I think I’m going to go to bed.” I sighed and without waiting, to hear a reply, I slowly walked into my room. Still fully dressed, I fell onto my bed and shimmied under the covers. Despite my tiredness, it still took me at least an hour to fall asleep. I eventually passed out, but even in my sleep I felt uneasy. I couldn’t get my encounter with the nurse out of my mind. How can people be so heartless?